Raspberry wheat beer that got a little messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meettm

Reaction score
Just wanted to see what other people thought of this.
I used the Summer Ale Brewers best kit, and had plans to add a 2 pound can on raspberry purée to it. Well that being said my OG was 1.0035 kit says should be between 42 and 46 if I remember correctly. Gravity at end of primary was 1.0006-7ish. Not a bad move but it had almost no taste to it. If you took a half a glass of bud light and filled the rest with water, that is about where the taste level was. Feeling adventurous I decided to add the only malt I had on hand muntons plain amber DME. Boiled it with some water for about 10 to 15 than took it off the heat and added the raspberry to it kept it about 150ish for about another 10, cooled it and added it to the beer and am waiting to see what happens.
It is currently fermenting again, and just wondering if anyone else has done anything like this before? I am interested in how this one will come out.

I'm really curious myself. I have done a cherry wheat before but I did the cherry puree in the secondary. With a starting gravity of 1.035 and a final gravity of 1.006 that may account for the near 0 alcohol content. Adding the fermentables will increase the overall alcohol in the beer. Not sure how the mouth feel will be affected though.

The main thing i am wondering about is how the Amber malt mixed with the wheat will work.

Well, for starters, if you hit all your numbers, ie right amount of water, its tough to miss your og. Typically your water wasnt mixed up enough if you used top off water.

I bet after it was carbed up it would have had far more mouth feel and taste to it.

Measured off the bottom, only had the auto syphon at the time to grab some.

Ok so I pulled this off the raspberries on saturday and tasted a little, and it no longer tasts like watered down bud light. Still not a very strong beer taste but has a good ammount of raspberry to it. Going to give it a week to settle a little more than bottle it.

This has now been in the bottle a week and is coming along nicely. Needs longer to carbn but the tast is good. Bottled it with some wheat dme.

Back