• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

5 or 6 gal glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you can find glass ones on amazon for cheap with free shipping, that's how I got all of mine. Cheaper than I have seen in any LHBS.

Update: This one here - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VFR9ZG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 has free shipping right now. It's $9 more than I paid for mine so you might be able to wait and get a better deal, but if you're in a pinch...

Last edited by a moderator:
absoluthamm said:
Sometimes you can find glass ones on amazon for cheap with free shipping, that's how I got all of mine. Cheaper than I have seen in any LHBS

This! Search "paklab" and sometimes amazon has 6 gal ones for $30 shipped. Right now thwart are out so the price is like $50. This assumes you can wait it out though.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye out on amazon. I always look around online but the shipping always kills any deal I find.

PS freehold is an hour from me. It's funny because freehold in north jersey to me. Haha

If you are looking for better bottles...check out bell s brewing in Michigan...you should be able to get 2 for about 50 shipped...

Ha yea that is not quite north jersey. If you are dead set on glass you could check craigslist or just take the drive on a weekend...it is a pretty nice store www.brewapp.com They got me started with home brewing and have a good amount of equipment and ingredients
There is one in Egg Harbor City too but I havent been there

Sometimes you can find glass ones on amazon for cheap with free shipping, that's how I got all of mine. Cheaper than I have seen in any LHBS.

Update: This one here - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VFR9ZG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 has free shipping right now. It's $9 more than I paid for mine so you might be able to wait and get a better deal, but if you're in a pinch...
I love the description of this thing's "features" on the Amazon listing: "...helps with fermentation." Definitely, I guess it does help in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live 4 miles from the freehold store. The people are nice and heir prices are competitive , but the selection is limited (especially yeast wise). I bought all my carboys off Craigslist (incidentally all cl purchases were from SJ). Feel Free to pm me if you want some help in your searching:)

Thanks. Maybe I'll give freehold a try. I'm ten minutes from Philly and their are a couple of lhbs there but its a pain going into the city just for beer supplies.

I get my 5 Gallon Carboys from Kitchen & Company for 30 bucks or cheaper if they send me a coupon in the mail:D. They seem really well made too.

In my area, there are a number of mom and pop, old-fashioned hardware stores that have been franchised by Ace hardware. Most of these places maintain a "self-sufficiency" section from the old days and sell a lot of canning/jarring equipment. This section always surprises me with how much homebrewing/winemaking equipment it has, including 5 gallon carboys for 29 bucks. I do live in wine country, but it would be worth a shot seeking out one of these old country hardware stores in your area.

edit: I bet they could order you quite a bit of stuff as well.

So far the best lhbs store I've encountered is keystone in Montgomery ...they have a huge selection of EVERYTHING..including glass carboys in stock(freehold only stocks better bottles but will and can order anything). Freehold is nice because they use so much LME for brew on premises that the liquid is fresh, as are their special grains. Their syrups and kits are really affordable because of their bulk syrups(they dispense syrups into quart Chinese food soup containers, which is kind of nice).

From brewers apprentice On average I pay about $1.50/lb for 2row and $2/lb of specialty grains, hops are usually about $1.75/oz...I went all grain rather quickly so I havent bought extracts in a while -I can say though their golden wheat hefe extract kit is wonderful - it was my first homebrew and the most highly raved, it's About $29 for the 5gal kit.

If it's closer theres a surprisingly nice LHBS is the farmers market/dirt mall in Berlin...

The show up on Craigslist in the DC area frequently.... I saw one guy selling about a dozen of them for $15 each... This was at the same time I was selling 3 for $30 bucks each.... I still sold mine as they are expensive to ship...

Back