Cornelius or Firestone or Italian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have now five ball lock kegs from 3 different makers. Being new to kegging, I have a few question regarding the posts and poppets. I know that the poppets are not all the same. Four of my kegs are from other people. How do I know that the posts on each keg really are from that brand of keg? Will Cornelius posts thread onto the Firestone kegs? Should I standardize my kegs and trade for all one type?

-Cornelius and AEB are always 19/32 posts.
-Firestone posts depends on model.

The poppets could be any poppet style since the post thread size does not dictate the poppet size. Just go with universals, no guess work.

The Firestone gas in tube is plastic. Very old brown plastic. A piece of tape on the keg says something like being Canadian ale kegged in mid 97. Keg still had pressure and old wet yeast sludge inside. Going to replace that gas in tube.

The Firestone gas in tube is plastic. Very old brown plastic. A piece of tape on the keg says something like being Canadian ale kegged in mid 97. Keg still had pressure and old wet yeast sludge inside. Going to replace that gas in tube.

I saw a video on YouTube where the had a keg with the plastic dip tube. They replaced it with a stainless dip tube, but had to drill out the post to a larger diameter to accomodate the stainless dip tube. I was interested in this because I have one keg that had the plastic dip tube and I had already purchased the stainless replacement. It seems like a simple enough solution.

:ban:

Metal ones just need a quick hack. Run a 5/16 drill bit through the post ID slowly with some lubricant. Hold that keg or it will spin.

Metal ones just need a quick hack. Run a 5/16 drill bit through the post ID slowly with some lubricant. Hold that keg or it will spin.

I have access to drill bits that can step up hole sizes. The bits are actually reamers. I could also use a core drill bit, which is more agressive. It would help if I knew the existing hole size for the gas in port. Anyone got that info?

Latest posts

Back