Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my beer has a fruity hop smell to it, my recipe said to transfer to a secondary at 1 week, my gravity reading was 1.02, I'm i being paranoid thinking I ruined my beer?

Ummm. What do you mean "your recipe"? ;)

1 week is too soon to rack any beer out of a primary. Certainly a big IPA needs a good 3+ weeks before it's ready to be moved.

Your beer will be fine. Leave it alone in that secondary for 3-4 weeks. It will continue to ferment, albeit slower since you've racked the beer of the main yeast cake.

I bought a recipe online, and made some minor modifications. Thanks for the info, I figured it was too soon to rack to secondary but did it anyway. Rookie mistake!

Exactly one month after brewing, this sucker is sitting on four ounces of hops (3 whole, 1 pellet). Soon!

ForumRunner_20120528_103328.jpg

This was my first BiG Hop IPA and is phenomenal. The smell is awesome and the taste is wonderful. FG ended up at 1.013 and even with the alcohol content there's no alcohol burn at all, very good recipe Beermuncher

Brewed this last night - 1.082 on the nose. Made some minor adjustments in hop addition times to nail the ~100 IBU mark. This is the first time I've dealt with 20+ lbs of grain ...wow. Also went with 6-6.5 gal into the primary (blow off tube definitely in place). Can't wait!

this recipe is on deck...finally...i've been thinking about it for a long time. Only change I am going to make is to swap out the amarillo gold hops for Citra that I have around here and want to use. Thanks for the recipe!

Brewin this up today, only difference using washed WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, everything else ordered in from Midwest... lookin good so far (Boiling)

Finished up late last night, hit the numbers on the nose...pitched by yeast a little warmer than I like to due to absolute stupidity but woke up this morning and it bubbling away like crazy! Sitting on my basement floor a 66 degrees now. Thanks for the recipe, I'll repost when we get around to tasting!

After searching for how to get Pliny the elder (never had it and everybody raves about it) I stumbled on this thread. I love IPA's but my only big ones I have tried have been Hopslam and Sneaky Pete. Just spent a little over $70 for the ingredients and ready to brew this weekend. I bought the full amount of ingredients but only have a 6.5 gallon carboy. Was anyone able to go this route with a blow off tube or should I scale it back for a 5.5 or so?

if you plug the recipe into brewersfriend.com - you can use their scale function.

you might also consider the added wort loss for all those hops.

When I made this I put exactly 6 gallons in my 6.5 gal carboy. I had to use a blow-off tube for sure, my yeast starter went nuts within 6 hours. The beer taste wonderful and the hop heads who have tried it love it.:mug:

Going to brew this and pitch onto a US05 cake, because that is how I roll (I will have a very clean cake in 2 weeks). One question, I never used corn sugar (dextrose) in a beer before, do I add this in the 60min mash or during the boil? Any help is appreciated. Thanks for the awesome recipe BM

-justin

Looks awesome ... I think I'm going to try this with some pearl malt and a slightly different hop schedule.

Question ... Where did you get your water and did you add anything to it besides grain/hops?

Well I brewed this today. I did about 6.25 gallons and got a SG of 1.090. Im happy with that. It means that if I brewed the whole 6.5 I be right where I should have been. I just dont have the space to do the extra .25 gallon. Hopefully that doesnt affect the final product too much. Used the same amount of hops.

Brewed this tonight and ended up with 1.085 FG and 6 gallon post boil. This is the first time for me making an IIPA, and I learned a lesson LOL I dumped all 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket, on top of a clean US05 cake. 20 minutes later wort is foaming out of airlock. Hooked up a blow off tube right away and put it in a rubbermaid container with cold ice packs, holy crap. RDWHAHB? I hope the lid doesn't rip off tonight

Can't wait to try this, another 2 months probably. I'm going to transfer to secondary tonight for a month, and then bottle condition for a month before trying one. Waiting sucks! :confused:

Just racked to secondary, 5.4 gallons. Smelled delicious :ban: Can't wait to dry hop, I'm only doing 4oz that I have on hand.

1.084 > 1.014 = 9.17% ABV

My first big beer, I'd say I get awesome efficiency, even with big grain bills. I thought I was going to have issues with so much grain, so happy right now. I just bottled my dead ringer, and I am going to be bottling my first ever recipe in 2 weeks, kind of a pale ale recipe based of this recipe with hop bursting.

Cheers,
Justin

Just like Idigg, mines dry hopping and i got 1.093 > 1.012 = 10.8% and the samplke was delicious. had to subtitute Summit for Columbus and Amarillo for centennial. Damn i really wish i had amarillo :(

This has been in the keg naturally carbing and conditioning for at least 2 months now. Brewed it and then had a catastrophe here at home ( tree fell on the house June 29th) so been busy trying to fix all that lol...probably toss it in the kegerator and tap it in a few days....looking forward to trying it.

tapped this last night....pretty good stuff...almost no head at all but carbonated.. very sweet IMO even though it finished at 1.014......You can dfinitely tell it is high ABV.

Brewed this on 7/12, bottled on 8/14. OG was 1.084 and FG was 1.014. I used 3.4oz of corn sugar. When I pour this, I get no head, and the beer is very thick. Is that how it's suppose to be? It tastes clean, but its very thick even though I mashed at 151-152*F and used 1lb of corn sugar at start of boil. Needs more time in bottle?

Brewed this on 7/12, bottled on 8/14. OG was 1.084 and FG was 1.014. I used 3.4oz of corn sugar. When I pour this, I get no head, and the beer is very thick. Is that how it's suppose to be? It tastes clean, but its very thick even though I mashed at 151-152*F and used 1lb of corn sugar at start of boil. Needs more time in bottle?

Bigger beers will need more time to fully condition in the bottle. An IIPA is certainly a "fuller" tasting beer, but should not really be "thicker". Once the beer gets it's proper effervescence, that should lighten the profile substantially.

I have a Pliny clone on dry hops. I used hop extract, just like Vinnie. Tastes pretty awesome so far.

Okay... this is growing on me! 5 weeks in the bottle it is starting to get amazing. I'm just not used to such a rich beer I guess, never made a homebrew over 6%. I still have 50 bottles of this, I think I need to RDWHAB :tank:

I snuck a taste of this after 3 weeks in primary and WOW this is good stuff! Tastes like fruit loops. Yum.

This is going to secondary on Friday. What is the best way to dry hop? In a bag? Straight in the carboy? In a keg?

I dry hopped in a muslim bag for 10 days. I sure had a hard time pulling 4.5oz of expanded hops out of a better bottle neck :D This beer is F'ing amazing. I would suggest a bag for SURE.

:ban:

do you think it makes a huge difference if i mixed up the 1.25 oz cascade with the big cent/amarillo/crystal infusion? like if i put them in backwards?

Back