Possible CO2 Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
I think I have a CO2 leak, but have recently jumped to a 4 keg setup so it could be a number of things. I am going to see if my AirGas place can check my tank regulator and my 4 valve regulators that feed the kegs tonight. If it's not those then I will move on to the kegs.

My question is, I've only been feeding 3 kegs (haven't had a 4th beer to keg) but have had to refill after 3.5 weeks. What kind of time length should I expect with a 5# tank running an averaging around 12PSI per keg?

I kept having a problem with coming home to an empty tank ... then I put my manifold and all connections in to a sink full of water, and found a good leak in one of the manifold connections and also in one of the C02 keg connections. That last one wouldn't be a big deal unless it wasn't connected to a keg, which is a lot of the time.

Another good way to test is to squirt soapy water on the connections and see if they bubble.

You should definitely get more than three kegs through with a 5lb tank.

Running out of gas should be a function of volume, not time - ie, how many kegs you cycle through the tank, not how long they are hooked up for.

You may only get 3 or 4 kegs out of a 5# tank if you are force carbing. Think about it - you are dissolving 2.5vols of CO2 per keg, thats 10 cornys of CO2 out of your tank, just to carb it up. Then you need to factor in the gas needed to push the beer out - which adds up to quite a lot; a full corny at 12psi and 37 degrees is a pretty substantial volume of CO2 at room temp.

If you want to stretch your gas out a little, try naturally carbing the keg. You can always adjust your level of carbonation once you hook it up to the gas.

If you do actually have a leak, make up a solution of water and dish soap and brush it on all your connections. It'll bubble if it's leaking. One trouble spot you may want to check is the nylon washer that seals the connection between your regulator and keg. Personally, I don't like those, and would recommend the permanent brass w/ o-ring dohicky that screws into the tank.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-leakstopper.html

Thanks KC. I am afraid of dunking my regulators in a vat of water, I wouldn't hesitate with a manifold, but don't want to rust the springs in the regulator.

I've tried spraying StarSans on it but will use soapy water, I think it may be a really slow leak (3.5 weeks) so I don't know if I will be able to see it or not.

Alphonso,

I talked to my local AirGas guy and he recommended looking at that washer as well. I'm taking it into him tonight to see if the regulator or anything looks damaged.

Hoping it is one of those and just replace a simple O Ring and not a leak in one of my kegs. Not looking forward to repairing those.

Latest posts

Back