3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... Now I really need to get out there. I should see if they're open on Sundays. While everyone is watching the super bowl, I can steal away and pick some up.

They are open on Sunday. They also have some really good stuff on tap right now: http://www.3floyds.com/brewpub/

Dreadnaught is one of my favorite beers, Arctic Panzer Wolf is great also, and Behemoth is a great Barleywine. If you dig dark beers, Ragnarock is probably my favorite porter ever.

With my recent order from Farmhouse Brewing Supply I think I'm ready to give this one a shot...

citra.JPG

@Skeezer
Dark beers are usually my prefered purchases, but I've been panning out into the lighter (colored) stuff lately; trying to mix it up. I have a bottle of Panzer Wolf in the fridge waiting for me to get home from work. Along with the rest of my 6er of Alpha King. ;)

It looks like I'm going to have to talk to lady into making a trip to indiana on sunday. Being that hockey is the only sport I pay attention to, I'm not worried about missing the "super bowl" anyhow.

Really glad I came across this forum.

The hopville difference could be from boil volume. See the original post in this thread. The extract one is for 3g boil, if doing a full boil you could drop the first addition

The hopville difference could be from boil volume. See the original post in this thread. The extract one is for 3g boil, if doing a full boil you could drop the first addition

Thanks for the reply, I am around a 3.5 gallon boil (3 after loss) so I will keep the 60min addition as suggested. I added an additional lb of DME to raise the OG to 1.065

What is your opinion on this hop schedule which got me to 51.7 IBU?
60 mins 1oz Citra pellet
20 mins 1oz Citra pellet
5 mins 2oz Citra pellet
1 min 2oz Citra pellet
dry hop 7 days 2oz Citra Leaf

On another note, I downloaded Beersmith and if I put the original numbers from post 1 in and set it as a partial mash they look much closer OG 1.65 and 64.3 IBUs

With this grain bill, would there be a big difference in doing a partial mash as opposed to just steeping the grains? Thanks again!

I don't think steeping would be a problem. The hop schedule looks good. If I were to changeI it any, I would move ½ of the 5 min addition to 15 or 10 for more flavor.

So just checking back in, I brewed the second version of the recipe back in the first week of October. I chose to continuously hop the wort for the last 15 minutes and I split the batch in two with half getting Notty and half with S-04. I also dry hopped for about 28 days (whoops, I kinda forgot about it).

The first few bottles were merely drinkable. I refrigerated a bottle of the S-04 batch for 2 weeks and it cleared really nicely and the flavor EXPLODED. Peach and mango and citrus... And way, way down a little of the dreaded cat pee/funk that did nothing to take away from the pleasure of the beer.

It was night and day different from the bottle I drank three weeks ago. Crazy good beer.

For the record, I really prefer the S-04 over the Notty version. Sweeter (although the FG is the same) and fruitier than the Notty.

just racked mine tonight, it was at 1.021 after ten days.... more and more wating...

but mutha is right, other citra beer that I have made the taste gets better with more cooler time..

Well racked mine on sunday and G was 1.021 ish and jst looking today FG is 1.019ish, going to wait one more week, then bottling it. Looks and smells really good.

Gear101 said:
Well racked mine on sunday and G was 1.021 ish and jst looking today FG is 1.019ish, going to wait one more week, then bottling it. Looks and smells really good.

Given your higher starting gravity, I bet it is done. What yeast did you use? My S-04 ended at 1.017.

Is the first grist pale 2 row or pilsner shouldn't it be pale?

I have done it with both (ran out of 2row once), and there wasn't a noticeable difference. I would use 2row since it is cheaper and doesn't need the 90 min boil. I will update the original post, thanks for noticing that.

Getting ready to mash this in soon as the strike water comes to temp. Man it's a cold day outside today...good day to drink and brew!

Had to switch out aromatic for the melanoidin, both close enought to each other, and I'm going to use a washed slurry of WY1469. Should add a bit of fruitiness to it. Not too much though. Love that yeast!

Couple quick questions ... anyone use Pacman on this one? I've been loving this yeast.

Also, is there no bittering addition? the first hop addition I see is at 15 min left. Am I reading that wrong?

Thanks, can't wait to brew this up.

never used packman, sure it would work fine, although seems like people like brittish yeasts better. Never had the beer and am just now mashing in so what do I know.
Add the first charge (.75 oz) as First wort hops. When your lautering, sparging whatever, throw in the first hops. Then it's 15, 10 , 5, 1

So this is great. Dropped my new digital thermometer into the sparge water (new since last brewday I did the same thing then broke it trying to dry it off). This time though I had bought an analog backup. Then my Barley Crushed wouldnt crush anymore so I had to take it apart and re-oil it even though I just did that inbetween last brewday and today. Grrrr. Hopefully this will turn out well

I got this brewed again Saturday. Used 1968 and added a little crystal 20. Fermenting at 63 in my new fermentation chamber. It smells pretty fantastic when I open the lid. I will post back once I sample it.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow during a "Pale Ale Challenge" in my garage with my father-in-law, brother-in-law, and a friend. We plan to brew 3 pale ales using the recipe of our own liking, and then doing a blind tasting once they're ready to drink. I'm looking forward to trying this one for sure!

So, is the recipe on page one the most recent?

Anyone ever had moon man, by new glarus? Just wondering how they compare. I live in Chicago, but never had this particular FFF beer.

So what do you get when you win?

I think we've decided on a $20 Northern Brewer gift card. Nothing big, but it'll keep things interesting. I have NINE ounces of Citra pellets in my freezer right now!! I couldn't believe my LHBS in Seattle had so much. They've even got Simcoe and Amarillo. Needless to say, I stocked up on a little of each!

Thanks for the recipe skeezerpleezer...I can't wait to get my NB gift card :mug:

Can someone help me with the hop addition for a 5g full boil extract batch. I got the fwp of .75-1oz after steeping the grains. Has anyone done another hop addition of 1 oz at 60 min of the boil or just at 15,10,5 and 1 min. Just don't want to over or under hop.

billysparrows said:
So, is the recipe on page one the most recent?

Anyone ever had moon man, by new glarus? Just wondering how they compare. I live in Chicago, but never had this particular FFF beer.

It is no comparison. Moon man is a more typical pale ale, light on the bitterness, nose, and hop flavor. ZD is over the top hopped, like most FFF beers. Do yourself a favor and get some.

Will do. I have seen it at binny's and I love citra beers and anything hoppy. Sounds right up my alley. I'll get some today. Regardless, I'm brewing this...

Is the recipe on page one updated to reflect the current version (I saw you listed in the OP that it was modified, just want to make sure it's up to date)?

Thanks again

Yeah, the original post is up to date. I reversed this with a little C20 and WY1968 last weekend, but haven't tasted the results yet.

peb4peb said:
Can someone help me with the hop addition for a 5g full boil extract batch. I got the fwp of .75-1oz after steeping the grains. Has anyone done another hop addition of 1 oz at 60 min of the boil or just at 15,10,5 and 1 min. Just don't want to over or under hop.

At a 5g boil you may want to add a little at 60 (.375 oz or so?), but it would probably be fine without. I don't have beersmith handy or I would run the #s.

skeezer - Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this one next batch.

Have a question for you. Is it normal to add larger quantities (3 oz) for dry hopping?

TrubHead said:
skeezer - Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this one next batch.

Have a question for you. Is it normal to add larger quantities (3 oz) for dry hopping?

For me, yes. It just adds more aroma, which will hang around longer. 2oz may be sufficient, but I usually do 3 or more for Ipas.

Back