Other Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Besides home brewing ....

What are your other hobbies?

Well I play some BF2/2142 from time to time... Then I try to stay out of trouble with the wife while I drink homebrew and play bf2/2142 :)

Collect shot glasses. I have rack that fits a eleven per shelf so I rank the big ten every year in football. Only places that I have been so I if you read this correctly yes I've been to every big ten stadium, or city. I also play some sports, softball mainly, I'm pretty good.

The sause have been drinking some "full of him self medicine", I should be in the drunk and rambling section.

Traveling, hunting, fishing, camping, reading, playing hockey (temporarily on "injured reserve", anything outdoors. Not at all into techie things or games.

Lorena

I am an occasional jeeping geek. Since I've had the new one I haven't done much with that hobby.

Other than brewing, I don't spend much time on anything else. I used to play a ton of softball but I threw my arm out about 8 years ago and refuse to go to physical therapy. My wife is nagging me to get back into hockey. I'd love to, but damn.....that would mean exercise.

Not too much else. I started homebrewing because I needed a hobby, not to add an additional one. I'm going to start doing more woodworking next year, but mostly stuff for around the house, so I don't think that necessarily qualifies as a "hobby".

I hold a private pilot's license, but when I lost an eye to glaucoma about three years ago, and subsequently contracted kidney stones, I lost my medical certificate. The FAA doesn't like that. They REALLY hate kidney stones. Well, after jumping through countless hoops I now have a special issuance medical certificate and am taking dual flight instruction in preparation for my Biannual Flight Review, after which I will again have full privileges.:ban: :ban:

Trying to keep everything in the house & barn in operating condition.
Trying to keep the fruit trees and other landscaping alive.
Finches, gerbils & greyhounds.
Motorcycling
RV'n
Mucking out the driveway.
Reading
Visiting microbrewies, brewpubs and beer fests.

You'd probably never guess, but mine include:

Cars, motorcycles, welding, metal fab - basically anything mechanical
Collecting the biggest, best set of garage toys ever - perhaps I'll succeed someday
Flying
Guitars
Cooking

Fishing and boating and guitar/music.

Sadly, brewing is my cheapest hobby by a long shot.

Yuri_Rage said:
You'd probably never guess, but mine include:

Cars, motorcycles, welding, metal fab - basically anything mechanical
Collecting the biggest, best set of garage toys ever - perhaps I'll succeed someday
Flying
Guitars
Cooking

LOL he who dies with the most toys wins, right, Yuri??:D

Does chasing around after my grandson count as a hobby?? Other than that bowling and golf, but no so much golf any more. Used to play softball but then I got old and slow. So I guess it'll have to be homebrewing now.

Bluegrass festival/camping
Banjo, mandolin and guitar pickin
Used to collect old license plates but sold most of em.
Still have one of every year from Pa. since 1906

Brewing is it. Kind of a workaholic so I had to figure something out to keep my sanity. And what other hobbies are there that your friends appreciate as well!

I used to have a bunch, but marriage + kid has pretty much relegated the majority of them to "interests" at best. I have a motorcycle, but don't get to ride it much. Guitars, but no time for serious pracitce. So, brewing is mainly it, and i haven't had the chance to do it in months!

So reading internet forums is pretty much tops for me right now. :D

lorenae said:
Traveling, hunting, fishing, camping, reading, playing hockey (temporarily on "injured reserve", anything outdoors. Not at all into techie things or games.

Lorena

All this and you've got big boobs. I think Lorena's got it going on. :D

Drinking Beer
Brewing Beer
Running ... So I can drink more beer
Playing with the grandkids
Occasional golf
Tinkering with my 1972 TR6
Drinking Beer
Brewing Beer .... It's a vicious cycle. :tank:

Traveling and Travel Photography when money and vacation time allow. My pictures are online at Flickr... I've been to England, France, Italy, and Quebec (might as well be its own country!)

I also play a lot of Xbox 360 and PC games. My handle on Xbox Live is ryser2k.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
All this and you've got big boobs. I think Lorena's got it going on. :D

Flatterer, Flatterer.

The funny thing is that until I met my husband, most guys thought I was weird. My husband loves me because, in his words, "You're a guy but with t!ts." I know, that's not the most romantic thing but it's true. He says he's married to his best friend, but with sex. I think most guys would hate it, so I'm lucky to have him. I fix things around the house, brew, drink lots of beer, play hockey, love football and basketball, and canoe, fish and hunt. I cook sometimes (but not too often). He cooks, works fulltime, gardens, and does most of the laundry. He does ALL of the grocery shopping. He even does the coupon clipping.

I guess I'm VERY lucky to have HIM! And he is most appreciative of my "assets" that BOSTON referred to!

Lorena

The Boat!A 26 foot long hole in the water that begs all my time and money.The byproduct is saltwater heaven.Fishing,shrimping,crabbing,adventuring,whale watching,lazing,sleeping,beer drinking,rocking out.It has taken kind of a backseat to brewing these past few months.Some mechanical issues and lots of excuses kept me home brewing.I gotta agree with an earlier reply about cost though.Comparatively this hobby/obsession is way cheaper.Come springtime i'm gonna have to figure a way to do both:confused: .
Cheers:mug:

P-AmberAlert
P-Schwheat!
S-SwirlyPearlyWheat
S-IslandPaleAle
S-DeerBrownAle
Some aging,some drinking
Up next-BlahBlahBlonde

Toot said:
Designing/Building an experimental aircraft
Chasing girls (well, I'm actually kinda attached to one right now..)
Drinking Beer

By designing do you mean your own design? Or building on another design?

Personally between work and school, Homebrewing is the only hobby I have time for. I used to mountain bike a lot, roller hockey, volleyball and other outdoorsie stuff. Since I met my wife my interests have slowed a bit, although I have adopted her interest in sailing and we still debate packing it all in to live on a sailboat and just cruise...

I would list flying as a hobby, but that seems more like a failed career choice.

I occasionally hunt and fish. Actually, caught myself some Chinook two days ago. Other than that i read quite a bit and travel. Leaving tomorrow morning for Munich. Unfortunately, brewing is kinda a sub hobby due to trying to be a full time student a the same time.

lorenae said:
Flatterer, Flatterer.

The funny thing is that until I met my husband, most guys thought I was weird. My husband loves me because, in his words, "You're a guy but with t!ts." I know, that's not the most romantic thing but it's true. He says he's married to his best friend, but with sex. I think most guys would hate it, so I'm lucky to have him. I fix things around the house, brew, drink lots of beer, play hockey, love football and basketball, and canoe, fish and hunt. I cook sometimes (but not too often). He cooks, works fulltime, gardens, and does most of the laundry. He does ALL of the grocery shopping. He even does the coupon clipping.

I guess I'm VERY lucky to have HIM! And he is most appreciative of my "assets" that BOSTON referred to!

Lorena

Ummm.... Sister?

Toot said:
Designing/Building an experimental aircraft

Lucky.....I've wanted to fly my whole life. I found the local sailplane club (in Omaha, actually) is really affordable, though. $100 a year plus $35 a month dues, and they'll provide instruction. SWMBO vetoed it, but one of these years I'm just going to do it and let her scream.

lorenae said:
Flatterer, Flatterer.

Lorena
Why don't you guys do a video diary and submit it to Discovery and/or the Outdoor channel? This cuts across all the stereotypes and I bet that everyone would watch. The HomeBrewTalk members alone would boost the ratings.

I design, build and fly RC aircraft, though I haven't had much stick time AK (after kids), play golf, coach football, woodwork, and I'm restoring a '67 Firebird with my 10 year old who can't wait to get behind the wheel. I've had my eye on a 69 GTO for my youngest, but the owner won't sell (he's just letting it sit rotting away next to his barn!!!) "Honey, I know he's only 6, but this will be a "long term" project":) Plus, I am building a home business since I left the corporate hell so I take care of the house, the kids and cook. I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Used to toy with old VW's, but with the addition of another kid, i'm gonna be letting that one go and just doing more brewing. Other than that just running so that i can drink more beer.

I fly radio controlled airplanes also, mostly the big ones ( over 6 or 7 ft wings)
I also like to fish in lake Erie and many inland lakes in Mich.
I also like to shoot my 9MM pistol when I can.
I write the Airplane club newsletter and am the secretary of the brew club.
and work full time, this all keeps me occupied.
Oh and brew whenever I get a chance.

alemonkey said:
Lucky.....I've wanted to fly my whole life. I found the local sailplane club (in Omaha, actually) is really affordable, though. $100 a year plus $35 a month dues, and they'll provide instruction. SWMBO vetoed it, but one of these years I'm just going to do it and let her scream.

You should DEFINITELY let her scream. I can't understand marriages where one partner would truly be upset if the other wanted to do something like that. I mean as long as you can afford it, and it doesn't hurt your relationship in any real way, she should just get over it. But what do I know? I'm single, so I'm allowed to think that way. :p

Flyin' Lion said:
By designing do you mean your own design? Or building on another design? ... I would list flying as a hobby, but that seems more like a failed career choice.

I mean designing my own. I've been reading and studying aerodynamic texts for about 10 years now. I spent a number of years as an A&P. I had been building a experimental, but I lost interest once it was about 80% complete. I guess I just needed something a little different... so now I'm working on my own design. The test wing is about 50% built right now. It's just going to be used for "wind-tunnel tests" (bolted to the back of a pickup to test different flap configurations), and then I'm going to take molds from it for the final pieces. It's all being done on paper and carefully documented, but from the top of my head, here are the target specs...

Engine 60-80hp, under 120lbs
empty weight- 450lbs
gross weight- 700lbs
Length- 13'
airfoil- 63-215 with 32% noseflap and double slotted flaps and flaperons.
Wing Area- 34sq. ft.
Wingspan- 17'
Chord- 2'
cruise- 180kts
cruise@24Kasl- 250kts
stall- 36kts

In a nutshell, how small, light, and cheap can you make a fast airplane? I've got my eye set on the Hexadyne P60 motor (60hp, 2 cylinder, 4 stroke and an 89lbs weight). Of course, it'll be turbo-normalized. High wing-loading, and a ****-ton of flaps.

alemonkey said:

Toot said:
You should DEFINITELY let her scream. I can't understand marriages where one partner would truly be upset if the other wanted to do something like that. I mean as long as you can afford it, and it doesn't hurt your relationship in any real way, she should just get over it. But what do I know? I'm single, so I'm allowed to think that way.

I must be lucky, too. My wife is the one that pushed me into flying (homebrewing too, for that matter) because she knew I wanted to. Then after my problems with my eye she pushed me again to get back into it because she knew I missed it even though I was willing to chuck it. It's a good thing, too, because my son is always telling me how much he misses flying with me. Yup- I'm pretty lucky.

I play Tennis (duh) and Ive recently formed a surf band (The Cachalots) and we'll be playing shows in and around Virginia Beach this summer for anyone interested.

Toot said:
Engine 60-80hp, under 120lbs
empty weight- 450lbs
gross weight- 700lbs
Length- 13'
airfoil- 63-215 with 32% noseflap and double slotted flaps and flaperons.
Wing Area- 34sq. ft.
Wingspan- 17'
Chord- 2'
cruise- 180kts
cruise@24Kasl- 250kts
stall- 36kts

In a nutshell, how small, light, and cheap can you make a fast airplane? I've got my eye set on the Hexadyne P60 motor (60hp, 2 cylinder, 4 stroke and an 89lbs weight). Of course, it'll be turbo-normalized. High wing-loading, and a ****-ton of flaps.

This looks sweet. Post some pics or drawings of the wing design when you have time. I'd love to see that. Many, many years ago, one of the guys in the club I used to fly with designed an experimental with a front opening flap on the front of the wings. Most guys bet that when he deployed, it would fly underground. It had an amazing lift characteristic, but the drag was real high and made it unstable at lower speeds in wind. Cool experiment though.

Back