Beers that make you think of spring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam91

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew beer that will be ready around springtime I'm thinking something a little malty not overly sweet and crisp sounds yummy for the springtime.

so my question to you guys is what beers make you think of spring?

A little malty and crisp? Um, I'm going to be brewing a Scottish 80 in a bit here that kind of fits that bill.

Sounds yummy what kind of hops and yeasts are you using?

I've been wondering the same thing. What kind of brew could I do that would be perfect to break out next spring, during fishing season or around a campfire? I was thinking maybe a saison.

Anyone?

Sounds yummy what kind of hops and yeasts are you using?

Are you doing extract or all grain? I use Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast. Ferment it towards the low end of the spectrum for a clean profile and then if possible I like to lager this beer for a month or so to really clean it up. Hops aren't super important because I just drop in one 60 minute addition but this time I was going to go with Fuggle.

Mine is pretty close to Northern Brewer's Scottish 80 kit but I only use a half pound of the Extra Dark English Crystal and two ounces of roasted barely. All grain. Extract.

I've been wondering the same thing. What kind of brew could I do that would be perfect to break out next spring, during fishing season or around a campfire? I was thinking maybe a saison.
Anyone?

Saison's are great, but typically fermented in the summer because a lot of people ferment them really warm to really bring out a bunch of that yeasts characteristics.

Well I took your idea of a Scottish ale and decided to make an Irish Red I love fuggles and I'm going to use that as my aroma. But for the crispness I'm going to bitter with Challenger.

Chocolate malt crystal 60 Maris Otter a little bit of brown malt and a little bit of Cara Red
Nottingham as a clean yeast hopefully this would she what I was looking for thanks for the idea

I was just thinking about that, and considering trying a Belgian Saison. Never brewed one, but with all of the info on this site it should be easy to figure out.

Not going to attempt any of the sour notes though...beyond my capabilities.

twalte said:
I was just thinking about that, and considering trying a Belgian Saison. Never brewed one, but with all of the info on this site it should be easy to figure out.

Not going to attempt any of the sour notes though...beyond my capabilities.

You gotta go for it. Saisons have changed my world!

I'd suggest getting Wyeast 3711 Saison yeast: it's a beast, gives great mouthfeel even on highly attenuated Saisons, and adds great citrusy esters!

You gotta go for it. Saisons have changed my world!

I'd suggest getting Wyeast 3711 Saison yeast: it's a beast, gives great mouthfeel even on highly attenuated Saisons, and adds great citrusy esters!

Piratwolf,

Any recommendations on a recipe? I was eyeing this one...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/cottage-house-saison-254684/

If you have another one that changed your world, I'll give it a whirl. Looking to brew a batch this week.

(By the way, I love sour beers...just not ready to attempt yet)

I've gotten two regional gold medals for the following:

65% continental pilsner malt
30% white wheat malt
5%. Aromatic malt

Cascade hops:
17 IBUs @ FWH/60 min
5 IBUs @ 15 min
3 IBUs @ 1 min

Mash @148-150 90 mins

90 min boil

OG: ~1059/ FG: ~1.004-008

Wyeast 3711

So I am at 1.074 preboil..... no bueno. Way better effeciency than I planned for. Would you roll with it and age it or get a couple gallons top off and make larger batch?

I'll have to say maibock. Simply because that's literally what i brewed today for spring. Malty, light colored, forward hops.

Back