Hneed a hop schedule for this IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
image-2652903814.jpg

I like more citrusy IPA lately.

What is your efficiency? And what sort of IBU range do you want to wind up with? Are you going to dry hop in the secondary or keg dry hop? It'll help with timing and quantities.

That'll help a bit with when to add. As far as what to add, in general, I'd see the Columbus more for bittering (60 min) and dry hop, while the Summit more for flavor (<= 20minutes) and dry hop, based on what you have said. Heavier on the Summit than Columbus for dry hop, but the Columbus, like all high alpha hops, will add some depth. If you have Beersmith or some other calculators, figure on 50-70 IBUs for IPA strength, 70+ or so for IIPA strength. (That's why knowing your efficiency will help - how high is the expected O.G.)?

I have 75% efficiency and will will dry hop. I've never brewed an IPA so not to sure what else. I have a but load of citra, cascade sim, centennial and Columbus hops. 5 gallon brew

are you set on using both summit and the columbus hops, if not I would just use them as your bittering charge 1 - 1.5 oz @ 60 and then go late additions with your citra cascades or centennial 1oz of your choice or a mix of all three @ 15 and then @5 and then dry hop with 2oz of any or a mix of all... I personally would just go with a mix of the 3

Nope not set on any in particular just bought some I'm open to anything

Using only 5 oz. of hops for 5 gallons of American IPA can be a stretch. That's enough for the boil hops and flameout addition, but not enough for the dryhop... you'll need another 2.5 to 3.5 oz. for the dryhop.

Therefore, I highly recommend using some of your extra hops instead of making a simple Summit/Columbus IPA. Any of the additional hops you listed will work here depending on the aroma profile you're after.

I would use the majority of your boil hops anywhere from 20-15-10-5-0, with a very small 30-40 IBU addition at 60.

...In order from greatest to least aroma:

Citra - tropical fruits, grapefruit
Simcoe - musky pine, tropical fruit, grapefruit
Centennial - fruity, citrusy, zesty, juicy
Cascade - one note clean grapefruit
Summit - dank citrus, some resin, grapefruit
Columbus - resiny, green, citrus, zest, pine

you do realize that the recipe you have there is giving you around 190 ibu... thats way more than the 90 you were listing. Wondering why you are doing a 90 min boil when the grain bill doesn't need it

Back