New to all-grain. Is Blichmann best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickert76

Reaction score
My husband has been brewing with extracts for 10 years and I want to get him a set up for all grain brewing for Christmas. I have read through many threads and it looks like there are lots of people for the 10 gal Blichmann pots and lots against. I have the opportunity to buy a used 10 gal blichmann for $250 and I'm wondering if it is worth the price or should I just get a less expensive SS pot? Keep in mind that I don't weld and do not know how to "build" one or even what is neccessary to have on a brew pot. I would appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks!

They are nice but, I spent all the money to have the fancy equipment and regret buying alot of it. I can do just as good with my cheaper pots than I can with the most expensive. If ya have money to burn sure go for it. I am sure he would love it. As for me I regret buying some of the more expensive equipment.

Definately don't have lots of money to burn and right now I am just trying to figure out what all is needed for all-grain. I know he will need a boil pot but not sure what is best. I know he needs a mash tun which I thought I might try to make and he will need a wort chiller which I could also buy used for $50 but I'm not sure if that is too much for a used homemade wort chiller. It is good to know that you are happy with the less expensive pot. I am leaning that way too but does it need to have a spigot, thermometer, etc??

I would say it depends on what kind of brewer your husband is/will be. Does he load up on expensive beer or is he more of a minimalist? You can definitely make great beer without ever buying something with the world Blichmann on it, or you can spend lots of money on the fancy-schmancy stuff. Either way is OK, just depends on personal preference.

(For the record, I'm a Luddite--I have a stainless pot, a burner and a cooler. And I'm very happy with it.)

The Blichmann provides convenience and BLINGGGGG. Like others said, you can get something just as functional for 1/4 the price, but if my GF gave me a Blichmann, I'd certainly feel the love everytime I gazed upon it's shiny blingness.

If you need to save some $$$ and just want something functional, there are better options.

If $250 isn't a stretch, and you want to really make your BF extra happy, I say go ahead and spring for the bling! :rockin:

I would say that Blichmann is good but overpriced. I would stick to a 10 Gallon SS pot, I like the thicker walled ones like the Megapot from Northern Brewer, I would get one with a ball valve at least.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html

I make due with a chiller, 10 gallon pot and my homemade 5 gallon mashtun. Keeping it cheap is a big deal for me but getting a nice 10 gallon pot and 10 gallon mashtun will allow for some growth and easy sparging. I know because I have a 5 gallon mashtun and it can only hold about 13lbs of grain so brewing beers with bigger grain bills is hard.

I'd say keep it cheap if you're only focusing on 5 gallon batches right now. I'd hate for him to sometime soon decide he'd like to make 10 gallon batches (or split a 10 gallon boil into two 5 gallon batches) and be stuck with a super nice kettle that's too small for boils and would only be used for heating up water. Go cheap now and if he wants to do bigger boils in the future, you'll still be spending less than you would for a Blichmann by getting a kettle or two sliced open and fitted with a couple of welds.

At least that's how I'm viewing my all-grain setup right now. :)

I got 2) ten gallon stainless steel pots that are very heavy construction from a Craigslist at $100 for both. I added Bronze kettle valve kits from Northern Brewer for $25 each and a Brewhardware weldless sight valve to one of them. So I got something close to Blichmann for less than $100 each.

Blichmann = high quality bling at a price on the high side.

My husband has been brewing with extracts for 10 years and I want to get him a set up for all grain brewing for Christmas. I have read through many threads and it looks like there are lots of people for the 10 gal Blichmann pots and lots against. I have the opportunity to buy a used 10 gal blichmann for $250 and I'm wondering if it is worth the price or should I just get a less expensive SS pot? Keep in mind that I don't weld and do not know how to "build" one or even what is neccessary to have on a brew pot. I would appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks!

Well, let's think about this. If the Blichmann comes with the following:

* lid
* sight glass
* thermometer
* valve
* dip tube
* false bottom

Then yeah, that would be a pretty darn good deal and I would seriously consider pulling the trigger on that.

You can definitely get a simple 10 gallon SS pot for less than $250, but if you have to go out and get all of the extras anyway, then it will cost you more than $250.

Well, let's think about this. If the Blichmann comes with the following:

* lid
* sight glass
* thermometer
* valve
* dip tube
* false bottom

Then yeah, that would be a pretty darn good deal and I would seriously consider pulling the trigger on that.

You can definitely get a simple 10 gallon SS pot for less than $250, but if you have to go out and get all of the extras anyway, then it will cost you more than $250.

Blichmann kettles don't [normally] come with a false bottom. They offer the FB at an additional charge (not cheap either). Also, IMO/IME, a thermometer on a kettle is almost useless. Same with a mash tun and HLT. I don't have them installed (anymore) in my keggle, mash tun, and won't be installing it in my new HLT I'm making.

If you're handy, you might want to consider making the kettle for him. It's pretty easy to do (if you have tools and know how to use them) and it also gives you the freedom to expand on it later. There are plenty of threads in the DIY and equipment sections from people who have done just that.

The Apple of brew pots. :cross:

OUCH!!! That's HARSH!!!

So why do you say that thermometers on a kettle are near useless? I'd love to know for future reference when I eventually get a few nicer kettles. Thanks.

For one thing, you have to adjust them whenever you turn the faces (or change the angle they're set to for those that you can). For another, they're slow to react. Plus, they're reading <4" into the kettle/mash tun/etc. The middle can be a different temperature, plus at different depth it can be different temperatures. It's ok to see when you're approaching a boil, but (IMO/IME) not much else.

I use a high-end digital thermometer with type K probes. The thermometer/base unit is a Fluke 52II, which can have two probes connected to it, displaying the reading from both. You can also have it remember the readings, for referencing later. It also has a back light on the display, so reading where it's not so bright is no issue. I have enough sensors, that can be dropped into boiling hot (actually far above that) liquids safely. So, I can use either one, or two, probes in the mash tun, to get a better idea of what's going on inside it. The probes have long enough wires on them (wrapped in glass, then stainless braid, so high temp safe) that I can position it away from the kettles/etc. While the Fluke 52II wasn't cheap, I'm not blowing through instant read thermometers (steam damaged) or getting a reading from a fixed point.

Ipot....that's funny!
So again I am confused. I would like to save money but don't think I have the time or ability to figure out how to make a Brew pot. Is it better to buy the Blichmann for $250 and save money by making a mash tun ( I think I can do that one). He brews in his spare time usually only in the fall and winter months, maybe 10 batches a year. He takes it pretty seriously though. So I would like him to have a nice pot and I want to have it all set up for him so that he doesn't have to spend his Winter break (he's a teacher) trying to figure it out. So are there other options that are ready to use when you buy them? And can anyone direct me on what to do for a wort chiller? Are they difficult to make, worth buying new or is $50 for a used homemade one too much?

I went to all grain after 8 years and spent maybe $200-$250 for everything. I, like many others, would love to have high-priced stuff with lots of gadgets, but realize that you can make the same great beer on way less expensive equipment.

I would recommend, if possible and within your budget, to afford him the option to make 5-10 gallon batches. I quickly started making 10 gallon batches when I went all grain for 2 reasons 1) You can make double the beer in the same amount of time, 2) I keg all my beer, therefore making it easier to store that quantity.

Here is my setup that I upgraded to:
-15 Gal Bayou Classic (bought ball valve and attachments at hardware store)
-55qt Igloo rectangular cooler (same as above, but I did build a cpvc manifold, still cheap)
-Sanke half-barrel keg (got free from friend and bought sight glass online and ball valve from hardware store.

I would either get the kettle, or (if you have a drill and right angle grinder) make a keggle. I would also look into going with BIAB before investing in a mash tun. The nylon mesh bags you use are cheap, plus you don't need to worry about setting up the cooler, and getting it to work right. If he already has a decent size pot, you should be set for heating up the sparge water.

I would also advise looking at propane burners, unless your stove can get 7-8 gallons of wort to a boil (and hold it there).

One thing to keep in mind, with the Blichmann kettle, the thermometer will be an issue with BIAB. I believe you can get a plug to go where it normally sits, to eliminate that.

If there are any homebrew clubs, or if he/you are members of one, I would ask to check out how a few of the members do all grain brewing. That should give you a better idea of what to do/get.

As for the used chiller... Depends on what kind it is. I started of with an immersion chiller, but then upgraded to a plate chiller (on my second one now, that's larger than the first). Depending on where you are located, you could have issues using different kinds. I recirculate my boiling hot wort through the chiller, back into the keggle at first. That sanitizes it, then I turn on the chill water (wort still flowing back into the keggle) until it gets to a temperature I'm happy with. Then I simply send the wort through into the fermenting vessel (one last pass through the chiller to hit my pitch temp).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for all of the links. Now here come some more questions. I do not homebrew myself so these might have obvious answers to most people but not I. The Bayou Classic SS pot, can you brew in it as is or do you need to have the additions like a spigot? As for the burner, can you brew inside on a regular gas stovetop or must you use a separate burner? And if you use a separate burner, can it be hooked up to a gas line? Our grill has an outdoor hookup to our gasline so maybe I could tap into that. And the copper coil immersion Chiller, I beleive the one I can buy used is a 20' copper coil. Is the 50' better or does it make much difference on a 5 gal batch? Thanks for all your help!

It would help to know where the OP (rickert76) is actually located. I'm sure there's some of us in the same area that could give assistance. I'd even volunteer time and tools to install a ball valve into whatever she got for a pot (to make it a kettle). She'll need to provide the parts, or buy replacements if I use from my own supply. :D

It would help to know where the OP (rickert76) is actually located. I'm sure there's some of us in the same area that could give assistance. I'd even volunteer time and tools to install a ball valve into whatever she got for a pot (to make it a kettle). She'll need to provide the parts, or buy replacements if I use from my own supply. :D

I am in the St Louis area, just across the river in IL actually.

I would say that Blichmann is good but overpriced. I would stick to a 10 Gallon SS pot, I like the thicker walled ones like the Megapot from Northern Brewer, I would get one with a ball valve at least.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html

I make due with a chiller, 10 gallon pot and my homemade 5 gallon mashtun. Keeping it cheap is a big deal for me but getting a nice 10 gallon pot and 10 gallon mashtun will allow for some growth and easy sparging. I know because I have a 5 gallon mashtun and it can only hold about 13lbs of grain so brewing beers with bigger grain bills is hard.

I just checked this out on the Northern brewer site. It had pretty good reviews but I am not sure what I am looking at. If I still have to buy a wort chiller and SS brew pot, is this just a nice Mash tun? I apologize for not knowing more about brewing. I am trying to teach myself everything there is to know in a few days in order to buy what i need. Pretty sad attempt. This is my understanding so far. For a 5 gal batch, I need a 10 gal SS pot which can be plain or fancy like a Blichmann. I need a mash tun which I can make for a reasonable price with a 10 gal cooler and I need an immersion wort chiller that can be purchased or made using soft copper coil. What am I missing?

Regarding the burner, to do all-grain full boils, he'll need a propane burner (unless you go electric). I have the blichmann burner with leg extensions and I really like it. It's well built, quiet, and efficient. IMO, it's a great burner. It's pricey, but to me, it's worth the extra money.

I'm going to add my two cents, please don't take this the wrong way. First, I think it's awesome that you're trying to get your husband home brew gear for Christmas and even asking questions on a home brew forum, very cool. Would it be a bad thing to let him spend your home brew budget as he sees fit? Home brew equipment is very personal, I feel like it's something the brewer needs to select themselves. Sorry if that's a let down, just the way I feel. It sounds like your husband needs a wort chiller, a pot, a burner, and a mash tun all at the same time. That tends to happen when going to all-grain. Either way, good luck. :mug:

Regarding the burner, to do all-grain full boils, he'll need a propane burner (unless you go electric). I have the blichmann burner with leg extensions and I really like it. It's well built, quiet, and efficient. IMO, it's a great burner. It's pricey, but to me, it's worth the extra money.

I'm going to add my two cents please don't take this the wrong way. First, I think it's awesome that you're trying to get your husband homebrew gear for Christmas and even asking questions on a homebrew forum, very cool. Would it be a bad thing to let him spend your homebrew budget as he sees fit? Homebrew equipment is very personal, I feel like it's something the brewer needs to select themselves. Sorry if that's a let down, just the way I feel. It sounds like your husband needs a wort chiller, a pot, a burner, and a mash tun all at the same time. That tends to happen when going to all-grain. Either way, good luck. :mug:

I'm going to agree with that... I have two of the Blichmann burners (one with the longer legs) and love them. I had a Bayou KAB4, which didn't perform nearly as well. That's with NO modifications done to either burner.

I still think you should look into BIAB as a way to get his all grain brewing 'feet wet'. Investment is minimal (no need to make a cooler mash tun) and you can do rather well with it. I upgraded to a mash tun due to where I was living and not being able to pull the grain bag out of the kettle (no additional supports there). There are ways to get a moderate OG brew (or maybe even above) with BIAB, depending on how strong he is. Or if he can rig up some mechanical assistance for it. Then, once he's ready, you can get the mash tun (next year's holiday gift, or maybe his b-day)...

Personally, I really like making my own gear, where possible. Converting kegs into keggles and mash tuns is part of the fun. Knowing I have a 100% customized solution to the hardware is also a great feeling.

I'm going to add my two cents, please don't take this the wrong way. First, I think it's awesome that you're trying to get your husband homebrew gear for Christmas and even asking questions on a homebrew forum, very cool. Would it be a bad thing to let him spend your homebrew budget as he sees fit? Homebrew equipment is very personal, I feel like it's something the brewer needs to select themselves. Sorry if that's a let down, just the way I feel. It sounds like your husband needs a wort chiller, a pot, a burner, and a mash tun all at the same time. That tends to happen when going to all-grain. Either way, good luck. :mug:

Thanks for the info on the burner. I will look into it. And yes, it would seem like the best idea to just give him a budget and tell him to buy what he wants/needs but if I know my husband, he will become overwhelmed with guilt and buy nothing or, since he is not sure of what he needs either, he will become overwhelmed with stress and that would take all the fun out of it. So really its a lose-lose situation for me :( That's why I would like to just get him some nice basics that will allow him to start brewing and he can tweak his system as he sees fit as his process develops.

I'm going to agree with that... I have two of the Blichmann burners (one with the longer legs) and love them. I had a Bayou KAB4, which didn't perform nearly as well. That's with NO modifications done to either burner.

I still think you should look into BIAB as a way to get his all grain brewing 'feet wet'. Investment is minimal (no need to make a cooler mash tun) and you can do rather well with it. I upgraded to a mash tun due to where I was living and not being able to pull the grain bag out of the kettle (no additional supports there). There are ways to get a moderate OG brew (or maybe even above) with BIAB, depending on how strong he is. Or if he can rig up some mechanical assistance for it. Then, once he's ready, you can get the mash tun (next year's holiday gift, or maybe his b-day)...

Personally, I really like making my own gear, where possible. Converting kegs into keggles and mash tuns is part of the fun. Knowing I have a 100% customized solution to the hardware is also a great feeling.

Well he already bought a cooler 6 mo ago in hopes of doing all grain so at this point I would only need to pay for the parts to convert it which shouldn't be too bad. Perhaps I could just buy him the parts and let him do it so he can enjoy that process. And in the mean time he can try the BIAB.

Thanks for the info on the burner. I will look into it. And yes, it would seem like the best idea to just give him a budget and tell him to buy what he wants/needs but if I know my husband, he will become overwhelmed with guilt and buy nothing or, since he is not sure of what he needs either, he will become overwhelmed with stress and that would take all the fun out of it. So really its a lose-lose situation for me :( That's why I would like to just get him some nice basics that will allow him to start brewing and he can tweak his system as he sees fit as his process develops.

If you already have a pot at/over 5 gallons, then get a kettle that only has a ball valve installed and the large nylon mesh grain bags (get two in case one rips on him). Look at the all grain Brew in a Bag thread (print out parts of it) for the method used there. He can use the bag, mash in the kettle, then sparge, or use the full size, no sparge method.

Look at the directory here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-supply-shop for a LHBS near you to visit. That would probably be your better bet. Rather than get someone elses (used/old) kettle get him something new and shiny. Even if it doesn't have all the fittings installed (to stay within your budget). Hopefully the LHBS will be a good one that will give you sound advise on what to get him.

Well he already bought a cooler 6 mo ago in hopes of doing all grain so at this point I would only need to pay for the parts to convert it which shouldn't be too bad. Perhaps I could just buy him the parts and let him do it so he can enjoy that process. And in the mean time he can try the BIAB.

You can install just a ball valve in the cooler and use that to hold the bag for BIAB. If it's one of the round coolers, you have plenty of options. You don't need to make a manifold in there, you can use a simple 'bazooka screen' in the bottom, connected to the ball valve. I did that for a mash tun (my brew-buddy still uses it). Won't cost much AND is easy to do (IMO, easier than making a manifold).

PM me and I'll send you links for the parts you can get to do the cooler conversion.

I suggest:

Buy one of those Bayou Classic SS pots from Amazon--the 44 quart one is good.

Track down the guys who make BIAB bags and buy one of those.

Buy a turkey-fryer burner--look for one that can connect to your grill line. If you can't find one, buy one that uses a propane tank. It's a minor inconvenience to have propane tanks around, nothing compared to trying full boils on a stovetop.

Take the money you have left over (there should be some) and get him a gift card at Northern Brewer or Midwest and let him decide how to fill out his setup. If he's gone this long without a chiller, he can make-do without one or use the gift card toward it if that's what he really wants.

If it turns out he really wanted a mash tun, tell him the jerks on HomebrewTalk steered you wrong, and he at least has the start of a decent setup that can be added onto as he grows into all-grain. Point him here to get full-on schooling on BIAB brewing, which is all-grain and every bit as good as using a mash tun.

Just don't over-think this. Unless he's told you exactly what he wants, you can't expect yourself to be perfect on this. You've already put a lot of effort into this, and he should be touched by how much you care.

You can install just a ball valve in the cooler and use that to hold the bag for BIAB. If it's one of the round coolers, you have plenty of options. You don't need to make a manifold in there, you can use a simple 'bazooka screen' in the bottom, connected to the ball valve. I did that for a mash tun (my brew-buddy still uses it). Won't cost much AND is easy to do (IMO, easier than making a manifold).

PM me and I'll send you links for the parts you can get to do the cooler conversion.

Thanks! It is a round cooler, the kind from Home Depot. I read a tutorial using a mesh water supply line with the rubber tubing removed. Is your set up different? I will send you a PM. Thanks!

rickert76, I have never regretted the money spent for quality tools.

If you have the cash and the Blichman is available, then get it. It will be a pinch, but it will just feel right every time it is used. No fiddle-farting around with almost good equip, that tool will do the job dependably and conveniently. The integral thermometer, depressed bottom, bazooka screen, and quality valve are little bits that really make a difference. The sight glass is handy for instantly checking volume.

Sometimes I simply do not have the cash, or the tool will be a one-time and done, then I get Harbor Freight quality. Right now I do not have the cash for a Blichmann, so I am using less expensive tools.

Next tool is a cooler (get it) and a mash tun. The tun can be a rectangular picnic cooler or a tall Gatorade type. Pick one that has space for a drain or spigot. Some commercial ones add a metal valve and charge $100 plus shipping. You can get a cooler for $30 locally and a valve for $30.

--edit--
as stated, if you do brew in a bag, it is simpler. Forget the mash tun. Get a $5 voile window panel from Walmart and sew a bag large enough to fit outside the pot, then use it inside the pot. The big bag gives the mash lots of room to wander around and increases efficiency.

I suggest:

Buy one of those Bayou Classic SS pots from Amazon--the 44 quart one is good.

Track down the guys who make BIAB bags and buy one of those.

Buy a turkey-fryer burner--look for one that can connect to your grill line. If you can't find one, buy one that uses a propane tank. It's a minor inconvenience to have propane tanks around, nothing compared to trying full boils on a stovetop.

Take the money you have left over (there should be some) and get him a gift card at Northern Brewer or Midwest and let him decide how to fill out his setup. If he's gone this long without a chiller, he can make-do without one or use the gift card toward it if that's what he really wants.

If it turns out he really wanted a mash tun, tell him the jerks on HomebrewTalk steered you wrong, and he at least has the start of a decent setup that can be added onto as he grows into all-grain. Point him here to get full-on schooling on BIAB brewing, which is all-grain and every bit as good as using a mash tun.

Just don't over-think this. Unless he's told you exactly what he wants, you can't expect yourself to be perfect on this. You've already put a lot of effort into this, and he should be touched by how much you care.

Wow! Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better about this. I am usually guilty of over thinking things, especially when it comes to spending money! I will definately be hooking him up with this site once I give him his present. He may already be on it...in that case, this won't be much of a surprise anymore. And I think your idea of letting him fill in what he needs is a great one. I really have no idea..I am totally winging it. You are all so very helpful :)

And the copper coil immersion Chiller, I beleive the one I can buy used is a 20' copper coil. Is the 50' better or does it make much difference on a 5 gal batch? Thanks for all your help!
In my small experience, one 20 ft coil is not quite enough for 5 gal unless you have a pre-cooler coil in an ice bath.

Instead of 1 50 ft coil, consider 2 20 ft coils.
two 20 ft coils are more efficient and faster than one 50 ft coil.
The water gets hotter as it moves through the tubes.
The hotter it gets, the less temp diff between the water and wort, and the less heat removed.
The water in each 20 ft coil does not heat up as much as the longer 50 ft tube
Two tubes doubles the flow.
They carry away more than 2x the heat of a 50 ft coil.

Also, search the forums for "no-chill" brewing. Some people report success just covering the wort and letting it cool down for 24 hours. i do not have experience in this, I am suggesting another possibility.

I can't believe that this gal wants to buy her man an awesome Blichmann kettle, and 9 out of every 10 posters in this thread are trying to talk her out of it!

If she has the money, and wants her man to have an awesome pot, she should get the pot! This is a present, not her own personal brewing investment!

Let's me honest, if your rich uncle buys you a Blichmann kettle for Xmas, are you going to return it and get a Bayou Classic and drill a weldless bulkhead/ball valve? F that. Enjoy the Blichmann!!

GET THE MAN THE BLICHMANN!!! HE'LL APPRECIATE THE S**T OUT OF IT!!!

If SWMBO was choosing between spending $250 on a Blichmann and spending $250 on a regular SS kettle plus other equipt, I'd much rather she did that--I'd take the extra $$ and buy a plate chiller or something else that I didn't have. (Just in case you're reading this, honey!)

Back