Adverage temp loss when doighing in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
What's y'all adverage temp loss when doughing in. Trying to file in my equipment but I'm struggling to get the mash temp right. Seems I always miss and have to add boiling water. What is a good temp to dough in with and stir out dough balls then hit 152. Have a 52 quart Coleman extreme.

I usually get around and 8-10 degree loss from doughing in. Calculating you strike temp and pre-heating your mash tun will help a lot. Use this formula or an online strike temp calculator to calculate your strike temp.

St = (2. / r)*(t2 - t1) + t2

St = strike temp
r = water/grain ratio in (qt/lb)
t2 = desired mash temp
t1 = starting temp of grain

I've found that I lose about 5F from stirring during dough in. So I add 5F to the infusion temp that I get from beersmith. That temperature is in a preheated mashtun. I hit it pretty much every time now.

My grain is pretty cold (from the basement) so I lose about 11-12 degrees when I add the grain to the strike water.

I lose a lot of heat initially due to the cooler sucking out some of the heat from the water, so I start with 180 degree water and let it cool to 164 and then add the grain. This gives me 153, in a 5 gallon batch. It cools more in a 10 gallon batch, so my strike water is usually 166.

For 5 gal batches I have been striking at 174. After stirring I end with 152-153. However my grains are cold (~62F), and so is the mash tun, I don't pre-heat. For 2.5 gal batches I strike closer to 180, since I lose a lot of heat from the dead space and extra volume.

My heat loss is in line with Yooper's. maybe 11-15 depending on grain temp and grain bill. my grain is usually in the low to mid 60s.

I usually calculate out 13 degrees of heat loss. It is probably closer to 11 but would rather over shoot the temp a degree or two. A little easier to stir and get the temp down than heat the mashtun in my experience.

Use a calculator(beer smith, the aforementioned rackers one, or anyone you find with google) and add 3-5 degrees to the temp. Then just stir until its where you want it.

I find that I have a pretty rapid heat loss in the 1st 10 minutes. My grains are cold and I don't preheat. When I first started AG I would take my temp and adjust with hot or cold water right after dough in. Now I wait about 10 minutes and then adjust. I think it may be that the cooler and grain take a bit of time to settle in. Anyone else do this?

I'd rather keep the grain closer to the rest temperature. Conversion takes place fairly quickly so you don't want it that far off for long. You have to wait either way so why not just preheat the tun.

I lose about 10 degrees in the summer, 15 in the winter since I brew outside. BeerSmith gives me pretty accurate numbers for strike temp, but I've learned to add 3-4 degrees to the strike temp in the winter.

I start with 180* and preheat for ~10-15 mins, grains have been 72-74* lately. I dough in 13* above mash temp as I lose 12*

Using a 15+ year old Coleman cooler, my buddies new 52Qt Coleman Extreme lost about 11* when we brewed yesterday with the same approach

Toy4Rick

I've found I lose 14-15* from the temperature of the strike water when I start doughing in. I start with water about 20* higher but I lose 5* as my mash tun heats up.

Back