5 minutes to buy a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Apparently it takes the average American five minutes worth of work to buy a typical beer. 20 minutes in most other countries, according to the October issue of time. I bet the average HBT member pays 6 times as much for one good microbrew as most people do for one beer.

image-2055606596.jpg

divrguy said:
Apparently it takes the average American five minutes worth of work to buy a typical beer. 20 minutes in most other countries, according to the October issue of time. I bet the average HBT member pays 6 times as much for one good microbrew as most people do for one beer.

What? Depends on the wage, I make 9 bucks an hour I live in illinois( depends on tax too). If your talking keystone yeah 5 mins, Bud maybe a bit more. Hmmm well 9 bucks a six pack. Im not the best at math and I dont feel like thinking about it, but that add looks off to me.

If I figured in my "hourly rate" at work, when I make beer.. it would be a much better deal to buy craft beer.

(not even figuring in the blichmann, march - equipment overhead... or great western, rahr, weyermann - consumable cost)

Lol did a sec of math. I make .15 cents in a min so in 5 mins I make 75 cents, that from were im from covers keystone or something close to that. What its like anywerw from 11.99 to 13.99 and sales tax of 10% ( for a 30 pack I think) dont know havent bought cheep in a long wile <------- buzzed on homebrew. About .80 cents a brew

m1k3 said:
if i figured in my "hourly rate" at work, when i make beer.. It would be a much better deal to buy craft beer.

(not even figuring in the blichmann, march - equipment overhead... Or great western, rahr, weyermann - consumable cost)

+1

weirdboy said:
I found the online version of this blurb.

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/10/09/no-one-has-to-work-as-little-as-an-american-to-afford-beer/

So extrapolating from the numbers in that article, what they are saying is the average person makes $1.80 every 5 minutes, which means $21.60 per hour. If you figure 2080 hours per year, that's a hair under $45k average salary. Is that reasonably accurate?

Uhhh no. Not were im from. I make 17k a year before taxes and thats full time 40 hours a week. Oh and I did say before taxes? And i did mention I live in illinois.

This might work for most people using cheap beer drunk at home, but I'm pretty handsomely paid and I still can't afford a decent pint a bar for 5 minutes of work (except maybe happy hour specials). Typical beer prices are $7-9 around here.

weirdboy said:
I found the online version of this blurb.

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/10/09/no-one-has-to-work-as-little-as-an-american-to-afford-beer/

So extrapolating from the numbers in that article, what they are saying is the average person makes $1.80 every 5 minutes, which means $21.60 per hour. If you figure 2080 hours per year, that's a hair under $45k average salary. Is that reasonably accurate?

That's what I'm saying. At $20 hour ( in California that ain't much) that's $1.66 for five minutes. I could buy a BMC but surely not a Stone lol

chally said:
This might work for most people using cheap beer drunk at home, but I'm pretty handsomely paid and I still can't afford a decent pint a bar for 5 minutes of work (except maybe happy hour specials). Typical beer prices are $7-9 around here.

Most ales that I look at and wish I could buy.. Are over $5 per bomber!!!

Thank goodness I brew!!

Uhhh no. Not were im from. I make 17k a year before taxes and thats full time 40 hours a week. Oh and I did say before taxes? And i did mention I live in illinois.

Dude, do you work at McDonalds or Burger King? That's $8.17 an hour. The average single American income in 2011 was about $26,500 ($12.70 an hour).

I made more than you mowing grass (23 grasses, to be exact) when I was 13.

Pizza guys, UPS/FedEx box slingers, CRAPPY waiters and construction workers make about double what you make. You need to go get a decent suit from the Goodwill and get to interviewing!

[commence FLAMING!!]

They take the median salary and compare it to the average price of beer bought at the store. I'd say $45k isn't completely out of bounds for the median salary in the U.S. It's not hard to find professionals making close to 6 figures or more, and some degrees pay over $45k right out of college.

The average price of beer is skewed by the vast majority of drinkers buying BMC products. Think Bud Light here. I don't think 5 minutes of work for a typical middle class worker to afford a Bud Light from the gas station is unreasonable.

The $26,500 was the U.S. Census Bureau stat for the average INDIVIDUAL salary for U.S. citizens over 18 in 2006-2010.

The same site says the average HOUSEHOLD income over the same period was $51,900, so the $45K stat was probably a recent HOUSEHOLD income stat, not per individual.

Back