caramel/crystal 10-120L.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
What is the difference in all of these...? I thought I read it somewheres or saw a video on it but can't remember where! Can you sub 1/10lb crystal60 for .5lbof 10?...

I know you probably can't but why?
Do I need to just go buy a pound or so of each so I have some on hand?

Thanks
Sean

Not sure about the substitution calculation, but the number refers to the Lovibond scale, a color measurement. The higher the number, the darker the color.

The flavor will be dramatically different. The darker crystal malts (80-120+) are kilned longer and in my experience have a more toffee or raisiny flavor, while the lighter malts (10-20) have a kind of light malty sweetness, and the mid range (40-60) have a more pronounced caramel-like character, but YMMV. I would suggest buying a pound of all of them munch on a few kernels to get a taste of each. The difference between C10 and C120 is night and day. Getting to know your grain is important in crafting your own recipes.

The difference is color and flavor. The bigger the number, the darker the wort that is produced. Also, the higher numbers mean richer, toastier flavors.

No you cannot substitute one for another like that. While in as far as color goes, you might be able to get away with that; they each have different flavor profiles and contribute sugar to the wort.

So, while you might hit about the right color in the example you gave, you'll be short on flavor and OG.

The difference is color and flavor. The bigger the number, the darker the wort that is produced. Also, the higher numbers mean richer, toastier flavors.

No you cannot substitute one for another like that. While in as far as color goes, you might be able to get away with that; they each have different flavor profiles and contribute sugar to the wort.

So, while you might hit about the right color in the example you gave, you'll be short on flavor and OG.

this^. lighter caramel malts with give you slight red/orange color, a bit of sweetness and head retention. darker caramel malts will give a richer red/amber color, caramel like sweetness.
lighter caramel malts, think pale ale, IPA, lighter ambers.
darker caramel malts, think reds, ESBs and brown porters.

Back