Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyles609

Reaction score
Is anyone in the area interested in getting enough people together to get a pallet together? I don't have the best spot to do it but if anyone has a local business or something we could figure something out.

I'm tired of paying $50 for a sack of 2-row. Seeing the prices on these group buys really makes me want to see one of these happen.

Let me know if your interested and we'll see what we can come up with.

How many sacks are you interested in? If anyone else is interested just let me know how many your iterested in getting.

What are the prices like per sack? I'm in Pittsfield & could use 4-6 sacks depending on cost.

What are the prices like per sack? I'm in Pittsfield & could use 4-6 sacks depending on cost.

Have you talked to Kevin, at the newish place up on North Street? He's done pretty well by me when I've ordered a full sack. About time I got another one, actually.

Here is the most up to date pricing sheet I can find. I think they almost all ship in 55 lb bags. The prices vary from Canadian 2-Row for $.45/lb ($24.75/55lb bag) to Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter for $.71/lb. I think the delivery cost will be $3-4 per bag depending on the lift gate charge they talk about on the shipping section. I would definitely like to get some more people here who want to get in on this. Seems like we may have 10-12 including mine, only about 30 more. If there is some more interest soon we can start a separate thread and start this up!

Here's the link:

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/NC Malt Supply 2010 Sales Book 09-27-10.pdf

If It helps anyone I drive from Worcester area to Newark NJ once a week. I could drop a few here and there off anywhere along my way. I take I84 to I91 to the Merritt Pkwy. to the GW Bridge to the NJTP. Hope that might help somebody out there.

I don't think that NCM is accepting new homebrew orders. Unless someone who has ordered from them in the past 9 mo (was that three months ago they made that announcement?).

Have you talked to Kevin, at the newish place up on North Street? He's done pretty well by me when I've ordered a full sack. About time I got another one, actually.

Kevin is getting 70.00 + tax / 55 lb sack for 2 row (unless you get special pricing?).
Group purchase = under 30.00 including the tailgate fee!

I'm in for at least 1 sack and I have a local business in Shrewsbury that it could be shipped to (no loading dock though)

Kevin is getting 70.00 + tax / 55 lb sack for 2 row (unless you get special pricing?).
Group purchase = under 30.00 including the tailgate fee!

Well, last time I bought a sack, it was ~$50 per. Been a while, though, and he was giving a discount for being part of the homebrew club. This was for good Marris Otter and a continental Pilsner malt (can't remember the maltster), though, not regular domestic 2-row (which is fine, but inherently cheaper).

Maybe he's bumped his prices, I don't know. Just wondering if you'd inquired with him.

Maybe he's bumped his prices, I don't know. Just wondering if you'd inquired with him.[/QUOTE]

Price is a current quote from his web page.

I might be in for a sack, depending on how far I'd have to drive to pick it up.

Where are you talking about ordering from? Because as noted, North County Malt isn't going to work unless someone's already on file as being a recent customer.

Yeah, Now I'm not sure. I never thought that the company would stop shipping pallets of grain. I understand there are reasons. Is there anywhere else people on here can do group buys from or are we forced to pay double the cost at the homebrews stores?

Has anyone done a bulk grain order from AHBS?

We don't even have enough people who showed interest. Looks like were stuck paying $50 a bag.

I feel the same way about the HBS charging huge mark-ups.
Don't forget to chat up your local craft breweries. We have one up here in Haverhill that sells MO for $32 and Weyermann Pilsner for $35 for 55#. Just my 2c.

Where are you getting it for 50.00/sack. Around here (Pittsfield) it is more like 70.00+.

I just shot Kevin Andrews @ Berkshire County Homebrew Supply a message, see what kind of price he could give me for a sack of 2-row and what kind of price he could offer if we cobbled together an order for 10 or 15 sacks. We'll see. I don't begrudge Kevin his profit margin in the least. I also don't see how it's cost effective for grain to make its way from way over in Nashua to the Western part of the state.

I have a Country Malt Group account and would be willing to place the order for you guys. I dont need any grain for the next 2 months though since i just did a pallet order.

Would like to be part of an order.... prefer to order in late feb/early march. I will be on travel 1 Jan - 5 Mar.

I would be up for

1#pellets Each Amarillo, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertau tradition(ger), Kent Goldings(uk)

Bags
2 - Best Malz Pis
1 - Best Malz Dark Munich
1 - Best Malz Smoked
2 - Fawcett Optic

1 - 32 oz Starsan (if 3 other people want star stan, I would consider buying a gallon as part of the 4*1 gallon deal)

Bill in Groton, CT
[email protected]

I would commit to the following bags from Country Malt Group:

2- Canada Malting 2 row
1- Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
1- Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
2- Best Malz Pilsen
1- Gilbertson flaked wheat
1lb.- Simcoe pellet

Tom
Wallingford, CT
[email protected]

I belong to the Worts here in Boston area and we do regular bulk grain buys. We just finished one and the price per 50 or 55 lb sack was about $35. The buys are managed through the wiki - members can edit the order themselves which makes it pretty easy (no one is responsible for maintaining the list and when the list is long enough then the order is put through.)

Probably other homebrew clubs in central mass or ct will use a similar system.

Damn, wish I'd seen this earlier. Just ordered five sacks of two-row through DIY in Ludlow (@ $44/ea volume priced - best I could do around here in Pittsfield - Kevin's nice, but damn expensive, and wouldn't come down for me*) - I would definitely be in if this takes place in spring, and I have a truck that I can use to trasport some grain back for other WMA residents.

meadowstream - could a non club member order through your system? I like to buy five or six bags at a time, which would make the ride out worth it for me.

Edit - * As the bird said, I don't begrudge anyone their markup - can't stay in business if you sell everything at cost. But when you're talking a $30 per bag difference, the yankee in me weeps like a schoolgirl.

Pernox, I think the rules are that you have to be a member to order through the club (pays for things like the yeast library, website, reading library, equipment that can be used by any member, etc.) but the dues are very low - something like $25, and the club is full of very knowledgeable, experience brewers (home and craft.) You (and anyone else) would surely be welcome. With 3 children and my wife at home, I don't participate in group activities other than the grain buys, but there are many and the group is very open to new members.

I'd be interested in getting some 2 row (UK) and/or some Marris Otter... Are their hop prices per pound? Anyone interested in splitting some crystal malt bags?

Anyone close to Natick with a grain mill that I could use until I get one of my own? Especially if we place this order...

If this order doesn't happen, then I'll just get the 10 pound bags when getting ready to brew (already crushed)... At some point I'll be looking to get some 55 pound backs of at least the base grain. I would rather get the grains at the better rate, same as a lot of people here. Only thing holding me back from ordering the grains in 55 pound bags (right now) is not having a grain mill yet.

Pernox, I think the rules are that you have to be a member to order through the club (pays for things like the yeast library, website, reading library, equipment that can be used by any member, etc.) but the dues are very low - something like $25, and the club is full of very knowledgeable, experience brewers (home and craft.) You (and anyone else) would surely be welcome. With 3 children and my wife at home, I don't participate in group activities other than the grain buys, but there are many and the group is very open to new members.

Thanks for the knowledge. I'll certainly look into that if we don't get off the ground with this.

i will add 1/2 bag of vienna to my order if anyone wants to split it.

In. I'd also like to go halfs on a bag of MO and Wheat Malt.

-edit- Just to be clear, I'll be in on this if it's a late winter/spring sort of deal.

... still haven't heard from Kevin (Facebook messaged him a week ago).

He never answered my email inquiry regarding the same subject, either. Bumped into him in person and inquired that way - he said he'd have to get back to me.

That was in like, August.

I belong to the Worts here in Boston area and we do regular bulk grain buys. We just finished one and the price per 50 or 55 lb sack was about $35. The buys are managed through the wiki - members can edit the order themselves which makes it pretty easy (no one is responsible for maintaining the list and when the list is long enough then the order is put through.)

Probably other homebrew clubs in central mass or ct will use a similar system.

After brewing for... well, I dunno' a dog's age, remind me why I haven't join WORT yet.

Is anyone placing an order for grain really soon? I'm planning on brewing on 1/1/11 and need to get some UK 2 Row and Maris Otter Pale Malt for the brewing (I'll get the specialty grain from the LHBS)...

If no one is placing an order, what's a good place to order from that will get it to me in time? I'd be looking to place the order by Monday at the outside, so that I have it in time for the brewing... Unless this is too close to the brew day to think about ordering up about 20 pounds of grain (crushed right now, since I don't have a mill, yet)...

Golddiggie - Strange Brew in Marlborough on Route 20 is a good place to go to get your supplies if you need something between now and January 11th.

That's where I've been going... Just was hoping to get some better pricing on the base malts... Brew day is 1/1/11, not 1/11/11... Although, I might brew on 1/11/11 as well (never know)...

Golddiggie - if you want to buy one of my sacks of Best Malz pils at my cost (~$35) then you are welcome to do so. PM me if you are interested and think the cost savings is worth your while. I live about 20 minutes from you.

Back