Peach Mead (Melomel) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will319

Reaction score
So I have 35 lbs of peaches I have frozen and thawed once in the freezer. I would like to do a peach wine and a peach mead with all of them (2 seperate batches). I would appreciate any recipe suggestions because this is my first mead. I also am looking for the best way to divide up all of this fruit so it is best utilized. Thanks for your help.

For a 5 gallon batch:

10-15# of honey, depending upon strength/yeast strain
10# of peaches, macerated. Use the rest for your peach wine.

Macerate, as best as possible, and add to secondary, in my opinion. You may also want to add some pectic enzyme and definitely some yeast nutrient. Make a HUGE starter.

It will help if you can identify what you want to make.
Do you want the result sweet or dry?
What ABV level do you prefer?
What kind of honey do have available?

I just made one a short time ago. I am new to mead making so I cannot offer too much for you. What I can say is use A LOT of peaches! I used 17lbs in the secondary for about 14 days and the peach flavor was not too strong. I sorbated and sulfited it then transfered to another bucket and added another 6.5lbs of peaches for about 2 weeks. The peach flavor is stronger now. Not quite what I want, but I am hoping that the peach flavor comes out more over time.

Good luck.

To answer the questions I would like around a 14% semi sweet wine with a noticable flavor of peach without it being overpowering, but so you didnt have to wonder what the flavor was. Thanks for all of your replies thus far.

Okay, I'd try something like this:

15.5 Lbs. Light, mild honey - fresh clover, tupelo, orange blossom, thistle or something like that.
water to 4.5 gallons total - target gravity 1.125
Peaches 15 pounds
ICV D47 5 gram packet
DAP 9 grams
Fermaid K 18 grams
Pectic enzyme

These numbers could be refined a little if I knew the gravity of the juice from the peaches.

I'd mix the honey in the water (you can warm it a little to make the honey easier to pour if you have too) to get the target gravity in a volume of about 4.5 gallons. Then take 5 pounds of peaches and remove the pits, and slice them up and add them to the must. Add pectic enzyme per the directions. If you feel nervous, you can add 4 Campden tablet and let it sit 24 hours, but I would skip it and just pitch the yeast.

Rehydrate the yeast in 100 cc of water at 100 F, then after 20 minutes, pitch it in. I'd use a large plastic bucket (7 gallons or more) if I were doing this to prevent MEAs. Keep the fermentation temp below 70F (60-65 would be ideal). If you can't keep the temp down, I wouldn't use this yeast and would rework the recipe.

At the first sign of fermentation, I'd add the DAP and 1/2 of the Fermaid K. Then aerate the must well. As the fermentation goes, the peaches will be pushed up to form a cap and you should swirl or punch down that cap twice a day.

When the gravity gets to around 1.090, add the remaining Fermaid K. Continuing punching down the cap (or swirling it to submerge it) until the gravity stops dropping (that could be 10-14 days, but you never know).

When if has finished, you can rack this onto the other 10 pounds of of pitted peaches. You can either rack it to another bucket, or you can rack it to a carboy (6-gallon). I'd dose it with pectic enzyme again to help break down the peaches. The fermentation might kick up again with the peaches, but it may stay quiet. I'd let it sit on the peaches for 7-10 days (or until the peaches look kind of bleached out), then rack to a 5 gallon carboy (there may be a little extra left that you can store in a PET plastic bottle with a cap with the air squeezed out that you can use for topping up later). Hopefully the gravity will be about 1.000-1.010

After it has dropped a thick layer of lees, I'd rack it and add 1.5 Campden tablets per gallon (if you sulfited previously, then just 1 per gallon). Let it clear completely, and decide it it needs more sweetening. If so, add more honey and keep it under airlock until it clears again.

Then it should be ready for bottling. It will need at least a year of aging.

There are countless variations that you can incorporate in this process, but this should produce a fruity 14% ABV mead with an identifiable peach presence.

Medsen

I put together this potential recipe Medsen came up with. My LHBS didn't have D47 so I used Red Star Montrachet yeast instead. I sanitized everything with Star San and followed the directions here. The other exception is I used canned peaches, drained and rinsed. I made sure they didn't have potassium sorbate cause I want my yeasties to get happy. Just wondering when I should expect to see some airlock activity and if I should punch the cap before active fermentation or wait til it gets going. It's a 5 gallon batch and I pitched the yeast around 10pm tuesday night. It is 5:20pm on thursday as I write this.

Speaking of Fermaid K, my LHBS (both of them) doesn't carry it. Midwest Supplies is out, anyone have another trusted website where I could get it.

Started this mead back on Jan 12. OG 1.125. Used Red Star Montrachet yeast. The house temp has varied from high 50s to 69 F. I took a gravity reading tonight (2/3/16) and it is now 1.004. Is it safe to assume the fermentation is done? Or at least very near the end? When should I rack to secondary?

I would rack to secondary now and get it off the lees. I usually primary around a month then rack to secondary on campden tablets. It may still ferment further depending on the alc tolerance of the yeast used. Sorry not familiar with red star. Typically I go from 1.115 to below 1.000 when using yeast with 18% alc tolerance. All the sugars in honey are fermentable.

Back