Another Rye Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Several of you guys have been on a bit of a rye kick, so I figure I'd jump on the band wagon. :D Here's my take on it. I'm going for APA style hopping but a little darker color, in the amber range. Plenty of malt with the rye, but plenty of IBU's to back it up.

For 5.5 gallons based on 78% efficiency

6.5 lbs British 2-row
1.5 lb Rye Malt
1.5 lb Flaked Rye
0.75 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 80
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt
2 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt

1.25 oz Northern Brewer 6.9% Whole 60 min
1 oz Cascade 6.6% Whole 15 min
1 oz Cascade 6.6% Whole 5 min

I haven't decided on a yeast yet, maybe Pacman or WLP CA V

OG: 1.057
IBU: 42
SRM: 11

And how's that for seven grains. :D :rolleyes:

Looks great, I wonder how the biscuit will mesh with the rye spice? Wish I could try some of this, I just went the dry rye stout route and am pleased with the outcome but would like to get a feel for the grain in other settings as well.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
Looks great, I wonder how the biscuit will mesh with the rye spice?...

Hmmm...that was my first thought as well. I havent used biscuit with rye yet. And since its only a 1/4 pound, I would say it would add just a slight breadiness and take some of the rye edge away. Brewsmith, you may be onto something here...

Time to experiment!

My only question is I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of some light chocolate. I don't think my LHBS carries it. I always hear Jamil rave about it on his show, about how it gives a toasty flavor and figured it might be appropriate here. It's not really in there for color.

What lovibond is he talking about? They have a dark chocolate that is 420L, and a regular chocolate that is 350L.

I found out the morebeer.com store in Riverside is about 20 miles from my work. When I get the grains for this one, I'll just drive over on my lunch break and get everything.

the_bird said:

Cool, thanks man!

I hardly order from More Beer anymore, only because of the shipping time from west coast to east coast. Usually takes 10 to 13 days to receive an order from them. So I usually order from Northern Brewer or Midwest, as they are in Minnesota, and the shipping time is much less. My LHBS doesnt carry these grains. Its on their website, but I found out, by listening to conversations there, that they end up ordering from other HBS to get their stock. No wonder their costs are higher.

On another note, Weyermann makes a Chocolate Rye which is 244L, which I usually use, so theres another alternative.

Back