Watering Hole Webcam...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
No, it's not your local bar, it's an actual watering hole in Africa. It's pretty addictive. You don't see anything for long periods of time, but then different animals show up - sometimes entire heards.

It's pretty wild - no pun intended

Check it out

OMFG I just saw a zebra get killed by a tiger! Just kidding, but there is an elephant.... Where did you get this link?

I just saw a shooting star.

EDIT: maybe not, there seems to be a lot of things flying around.

Why does it look like there is a giant ferret drinking right now? Where is this camera, and who is coctrolling it?

I was emailed the link with not much more info that I gave here...

Apparently it's Nkorho Pan - A natural water hole in the prestigious Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve, in South Africa.

I've seen a HUGE heard of some kind of Ox -had to be 50 of them. Also, there were monkey's and some rhinos. It's pretty cool to check in on every once in a while.

I saw a heard of boar, I think, they got scared off by something big, but it never came in view of the camera. This is pretty cool if you have the patience to wait.

Reminds me of the story of some private game reserve in the states where you could "hunt" by webcam and then actually shoot your game from the comfort of your own home. I think they were shut down.

Haven't seen squat yet. 5:09a I should see something soon I guess... Lots of birdie's though. Guess it's in a tree.

If you're watching now, someone is panning the camera around and zooming in on tracks and other things. I thought I saw a car and cabin fairly close to this watering hole. Pretty cool.

Flyin' Lion said:
If you're watching now, someone is panning the camera around and zooming in on tracks and other things. I thought I saw a car and cabin fairly close to this watering hole. Pretty cool.

And it looks like the person controlling it has some heavy fingers. That thing's quite herky-jerky at the moment. I saw a pack of something the other night. They looked like water buffalo. Good stuff. Wait.. I think I just saw someone out on their deck. Must be that lodge nearby. And now I can see the roof of whatever building the camera is in. This reminds me of that "King of the Hill" episode where Hank takes Bobby "huinting".

Is there a way to "catch" stills from the streaming video? Perhaps using a keyboard shortcut? I've tried print screen, but it doesn't work.

P funky said:
Why can I not get a screen cap off of Windows Media? What the deuce?

If you go to their forums, someone mentioned or had a link on what you need to do/fix to get screen captures. I tried multiple things to get a snapshot. I got a program called snagit and that couldn't either. Haven't hit pause on the feed and then tried; that may do it.

desertBrew said:
If you go to their forums, someone mentioned or had a link on what you need to do/fix to get screen captures. I tried multiple things to get a snapshot. I got a program called snagit and that couldn't either. Haven't hit pause on the feed and then tried; that may do it.

http://www.africam.com/boma/viewtopic.php?t=690

This thread explains how

It's actually rather peaceful watching this at my desk while I eat lunch. There are two deer drinking and the cricket sound is soothing.......I'm still waiting for a hyena to come get one of them though...

rdwj said:
I hate it when the guy mans the camera. It's much better when it's just still

Yeah, it gets old quick when that guy starts moving the camera around. I find myself wondering what exactly he's trying to see.

A full sized baboon can rip the arms off an average man, Bob is going to go over and poke this one with a stick, and see what happens.

Morning activity

baboon.JPG

Noname.JPG

Noname2.JPG

wb.JPG

wb2.JPG

Nice pics. I saw the baboon's today but work took me away from looking much at all today :(

Some deer like animals there now. The zoom is annoying.

zebras there now

EDIT: i keep getting the same 9 second clip of 2 zebras every time I try to connect.

todd_k said:
zebras there now

EDIT: i keep getting the same 9 second clip of 2 zebras every time I try to connect.

I think it's a delayed cache feed from a server elsewhere to deal with bandwidth. Or its all a big lie :D.

desertBrew said:
I think it's a delayed cache feed from a server elsewhere to deal with bandwidth. Or its all a big lie :D.

Seems like they do that when they're having server issues

Can't see a thing, must be my lack of winduhs.

I spent an entire spring watching a cam someone had placed inside a barred owl's nest, now I just look out the livingroom window: hawks, bobcats, vultures, deer, elk & lots of small stuff. Much better than the Bay area!

Wow – lots of action today – hyenas, zebras, warthogs, some ox-type things and some gazels!!

Back