1st brew seeking tasty companion (recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
Hello brewers,
I’m a week from drinking my first brew, Muntons Nut Brown Ale. I am about ready to start my next brew, and looking for suggestions. I mostly like dark beers. Porters, Stouts, Bocks, and Ales, and am looking at a recipe from The Complete Joy of Home Brewing called “Elbro Nerkte” that is ready to drink in 10-14 days. I’m not set on this one, though I am intrigued by the fact that I could enjoy it so soon. Any suggestions or advice?

thats weird i have that book yet never heard of that recipe...maybe cuz i have the 3rd edition...if you like porters i would try his anchor porter clone from that book, if you never had this beer its awesome, really bitter, yet sweet, a very good porter...ive never tried the recipe but it looks good.

I'v got the 3rd addition too. The recipe is on page 196 check it out. I'll check out that poter, thanks

a hoppy american amber ale would be nice to go along with the brown ale. i like to have contrasting brews on tap.

You've already got a brown ale, why not brew something else?

I did a brown ale the first time, like you, for speed. My second batch was an american pale ale (bottle conditioning now), and my third batch was an oatmeal stout (primary fermenting now). My fourth batch will be an amber ale, from a recipe of my own design, to enter into the April AHA competition.

Don't brew another brown ale, you've already got a ton of it! I'd suggest something hoppy to experiment with. A pale ale, amber ale, or red ale. Those will all finish relatively quickly (4 weeks if you are quick and impatient).

what about a lager, could I start one now and have it by feb 28th?

homebrewer_99 said:
You could, but it won't get much lagering time.

Does that mean I shouldn't. I'm having a party then, and I want some sort of user friendly brew.

Onedon said:
Does that mean I shouldn't. I'm having a party then, and I want some sort of user friendly brew.

yea, i wouldn't rush a lager. won't do it justice. go with a nice amber ale, w/ some cascade and liberty hops.:cool:

I've got what turned out to be a beautiful Golden ale recipe, if you want it. It's something that us brewers can enjoy, but the crud drinkers can handle at the same time. I find the hops too low, but some of my friends think it's just right. I'd stick in an extra 1/2 oz at full boil.

1/3 lb crystal 20 or carastan 20
1/3 lb dextrine malt

3 lbs light LME
3 lbs extra light LME (minus 1 1/4 cup for priming)
1 lb rice syrup solids

1 oz goldings whole hops @ full 60 min boil
1/2 oz goldings at 30 minutes in
1/2 oz goldings at 5 minutes to go

Yeast: Your choice, really. I used White Labs German Ale/Kolsh yeast, and got great results. It's not even recommended for the style. I just wanted something other than california ale yeast, which I use a lot of. It worked quite well.

Back