Finally going to do it (First cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
I posted here a while back about making some hard cider,well I'm finally going to get to it. I have a few questions that I'm sure you guys could help me with. (Even though I made a post about being confused I'll ask anyway) I looked around the site but couldn't find the direct answers

I bought 5 gallons of UV pasteurized cider with no preservatives from a local grower,I have 4 Lbs of orange blossom honey that I bought for something else but never used, I would like to add this to the cider. I have 3 types of yeast to choose from, Lalvin EC-1118 ,D-47 and White Labs WLP720 (liquid)
My questions are:

-I have a 5 gallon ale pale,how much honey could I put in with the 5 gallons of cider,should I even put any of it in?

- Out of the 3 choices,which yeast would you use?

Personally I used 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of honey in my first cyser (cider made with honey, or apple mead). I also used Lalvin EC-1118 for that cyser as well. I was very pleased with the result. So this is the combination I would recomend.

It came out nice and strong, but it was before I got a hydrometer, so I'm not sure how strong it was. I know the alcohol really snuck up on me though.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Personally I used 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of honey in my first cyser (cider made with honey, or apple mead). I also used Lalvin EC-1118 for that cyser as well. I was very pleased with the result. So this is the combination I would recomend.

It came out nice and strong, but it was before I got a hydrometer, so I'm not sure how strong it was. I know the alcohol really snuck up on me though.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks for the answer.. Was that with 5 gallons of Cider? I like your answer because I was thinking of only using 2 Lbs.. Thanks again

Well it's burping away,just timed it,7 burps in 2 minutes. Is that the norm? Hydro reading after I mixed the honey in was 15 (is that the right number to look at?)

Damn... After reading a couple other posts I realized I forgot to add the yeast nutrient and energizer,can/should I still do it?

Yep. The general wisdom seems to be that you can add nutrient any time up until the 1/3 OG point, but I would do so by the time it made it half way myself.

Back