Fining and Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
My first brew is sitting in the secondary now, I just racked over the second primary (make up/correction batch) yesterday and the secondary is still with no airlock activity going.

I've still got lots of yeast suspended in there and though I'm going to leave it in the secondary for another couple of weeks, I'm curious.

Can you use a fining agent like geletan or isenglas to drop the yeast out of suspention then rack over to a botteling bucket with your primer and still have enough yeast left to achieve carbonation?

I know that in cask conditioning, the finning agent is done in the cask so the yeast is still present to carbonate.

I used polyclar once. (note..just once) My beer did not carbonate all that well for me and the results were not what I was looking for as far as clearing up my beer. I have learned to live with cloudy beer. (actually I never minded it, it was my wife and buddies that used to gross out) now, either they live with it or I get it all to myself. :)

loop

from what I've read, there will still be enough yeast to carbonate.

If I recall the exact quote correctly, "Even crystal clear beer has millions of yeast suspended in it."

However, I used gelatin for the first time a few weeks ago, and that ale is sitting in bottles now. I'll know next weekend whether it's carbonated or not.

-walker

I've used Isinglass finings a few times, and ended up with crystal clear and nicely carbonated beer.
I'd say it's worth trying - you shouldn't have any trouble.

I've always used a pinch of Irish Moss to clear it up. My brew is ussually clear after a few weeks of age. It does get a bit of chill haze when it first hits the fridge, but if it's been in there a while that goes away also. Besides, why are we always comparing our beer to that clear, storebought, massproduced crap. It's like trying to compare a good homemade dinner with TV dinners. When I make a nice loaf of bread, I've never even thought about making it the same shape and taste as that tasteless storebought fluff. Not only is it next to worthless, but it isn't very good for you either.

Boys, it's the same with beer. We want beer with character! Something unique and satisfying enough that we are proud to put our name on it.

Why did I start brewing? I was tired of the same old watered down water. Think about it. They all pretty much taste the same, look the same, feel the same, and give you that same dull headache the next day.

Be different. Go ahead, drink cloudy beer! :mad: :p

I agree with you on that one. By the way what part of the ozarks are you from. I'm from the ozarks also,wife thinks I need to find somebody else who shares my joy in brewing. She's not in to beer. Let me know.

Back