white film on carboy neck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
i have 5 carboys. all 5 gallons. right now i am maxed out and need my 5th. it has a light layer of white film from about the 5 gal mark up the rest of the neck (from past krausen). i have soaked it in oxy clean overnight twice and used star san. is it ok to transfer an ale to it and use as a secondary ? i know i need a brush but cant get one in time for what i want to do. should i drop back and punt or is this ok ???

#$$%^$#%$#@&)((^^&$%^%#!..... ok i will drive the 1.5 hour round trip for a brush so i can spend the day bottling soon !

You're not going to like this answer . . .Get a brush, I mean really. Sorry I'm such an ass.

Yeah, I agree. COLObrewer is such an ass...... I mean, get a brush. ;)
If that is a layer of biological material, nasties may be able to hide in it and escape the sanitizer. Don't take a chance on your beer.

thats what i wanted to hear. i was wondering if starsan can get into that stuff and make it neutral. i know i need the brush its just a PITA ! i can delay the transfer, its just that i already brought the beer to room temp and dont want to leave it that way too long. i like to bring it up to 70 or so for a day or two before i bottle to make sure the yeasties are done. i can put i t back in the basement....

Back