time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drainbamage said:
Tripplehazard already got the style (IPA, not red). No one has the adjunct yet, but it isn't rye.

Awwwwwslipped right on by me....so I see that tripplehazard had pa, so.....is it Stone's PA with coriander?

TCGoose said:
Dogfish head 61 minute. Graaaaapes

Bingo! You're up.

WP_000141_resize.jpg

image-1418142286.jpg

Edit: this is a blend of three beers, treated in a special way. Guess two out of three styles and the "special treatment" this should be fun!!

Some of these guesses sound really good. Y'all have honed in on one of the styles... Hint: all three beers in the blend have a similar appearance/color.

If youre going to put up something this difficult you gotta be on top of giving some hints and narrowing down the field by telling us our answers are wrong! Help us out!! :tank:

Each of the last three guesses has one of the styles. It's not soured. And no one has guessed the special treatment

Dry-hopped Bitter Golden Barleywine

I have no idea if that's possible, just putting styles together at this point...

Ha! Way too literal. I'm trying to give hints without just giving the answer away... The special treatment is a commonly used technique for beers with extended "shelf life"

Bonus hint: two of the beers are ales, one is malty, one is hoppy. The third beer is a lager that tends to be on the strong side for lagers...

Wait I think I got it!

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Brewer's Reserve Grand Cru

Oak-aged Bigfoot barleywine, SN Celebration Ale, and SN Pale Ale, dry hopped after blending

chocotaco said:
Wait I think I got it!

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Brewer's Reserve Grand Cru

Oak-aged Bigfoot barleywine, SN Celebration Ale, and SN Pale Ale, dry hopped after blending

You're very close. You've got two of the styles there (barley wine and IPA), but not the special treatment...

TCGoose said:
You've got all the base beers. Now you just need the special treatment. Not soured. Oak aged is pretty close...

Bourbon or barrel aged barley wine IpA bock. Sounds much better than sour haha.

Dave37 said:
Bourbon or barrel aged barley wine IpA bock. Sounds much better than sour haha.

Yep!! It's Anchor's Our Barrel Ale. A blend of their bock, liberty ale, and barleywine, aged in Anchor Distilling Old Potrero whiskey barrels

Nicee that was a tough one! Never wouldve got it without the rest of the guys guesses and your hints. Sounds pretty complex. Something id either love or hate. What did you think of it?

I will post something up soon. Unless one of you guys who helped guess this one have a good one. Feel free and post it up!

Cheers

Yeah I knew it wouldn't be easy.... I thought it was great. Best way to describe it is like a shot of really good bourbon in a pint of anchor steam, except it was 8.5% and you didn't even get a hint of alcohol in the flavor.

TCGoose said:
Yeah I knew it wouldn't be easy.... I thought it was great. Best way to describe it is like a shot of really good bourbon in a pint of anchor steam, except it was 8.5% and you didn't even get a hint of alcohol in the flavor.

Sounds good. Is it available in bottles or even out of the brewery?

From what I can tell it's not bottled and is a fairly limited (annual?) release. I had it a bar near my apartment and only tried it because I'd never heard of it. Not sure where else it's available.

Back