Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yn381sb

Reaction score
Just bottled a pilsener and ideally would like to use my temp controlled fridge to ferment another brew before committing it to lagering. Any reason why a couple of weeks warm in bottles then lagering would be a problem for the pilsener? Thanks in advance guys...

From what I understand of the lagering process, you are supposed to ferment at 60-65 for like a week then drop the temp to 40-50 for the actual lagering. It's more of an aging on the yeast if I understand it correctly.

I've been wrong before...

How warm are you talking about? Assuming (since you bottled it) that it's fermented out, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Jason, most lagers are fermented at 50-55 for a couple weeks, optionally rested at 60-65 for a few days, then lagered below 40, often below 35.

Zeg

If I leave them in the ambient they will be in the 80's mostly (summer down under so could have periods quite a bit higher too)

Or I could jam the bottles in and around the ale fermentation in the fridge, which I could run a little low and slow... Probably a better idea?

Thanks mate

I would definitely keep them in the fridge if you can. I don't know that the ambient will harm them, but if it has any effect, it's not likely to be a good one. I don't have experience with this, but I'd try to keep them under 70 if possible. I'd be pretty sure you won't have a problem up to 65, 65-70 is in a grey area, then I'd start worrying.

Maybe someone who has experience rather than gut feelings will chime in, though.

Actually--would it be an option to cool them slowly in the temp controlled fridge, then move them to an ordinary fridge for lagering? That would be the best, and would free the temp controlled fridge up in a few days' time. Food storage temperatures are ok for lagering.

What was your fermentation timeframe before bottling? I've never lagered in bottles, always in a carboy in a temp controlled fridge. Once lagering is complete I bottle or keg after that. I dont think it would be a good idea to raise the temp if you haven't already completed the lagering phase, which is critical for the "clean up" of a typical lager.

70 bottles of beer in the kitchen fridge for a few months..... Nice concept, but the wife tends to like food being in there. We have differing priorities in life...

Maybe I need a drinking fridge in the shed alongside the controlled one....:)

I think I will run the ferment at 60

Thanks

kblankenship11 said:
What was your fermentation timeframe before bottling? I've never lagered in bottles, always in a carboy in a temp controlled fridge. Once lagering is complete I bottle or keg after that. I dont think it would be a good idea to raise the temp if you haven't already completed the lagering phase, which is critical for the "clean up" of a typical lager.

I let the ferment run a week past done, just over 3 weeks in total.

70 bottles of beer in the kitchen fridge for a few months..... Nice concept, but the wife tends to like food being in there. We have differing priorities in life...

Maybe I need a drinking fridge in the shed alongside the controlled one....:)

I think I will run the ferment at 60

Well, I had to ask. :) You could try to make the case that $25-$100 for a durable beer fridge would be a better investment than risking $50 or more worth of beer... sometimes bricks can fly.

I think you'll be fine storing the bottles at 60 for a couple weeks.

Back