Need some quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I bought a cheapo thermometer that apparently was off by about 20 degrees, so I thought my wort was 81 when it was actually around 60. It is too cold to ferment and I am in the process of warming it up. My question is how cold is too cold to pitch the yeast? I am gonna try and wait for it to get to around 70, which is normal. Am I at any risk by cooling the wort so much?? I am pissed that this thermometer is crap. Never buy a Taylor probe thermometer as they APPARENTLY are not water resistant and give bad readings. Says nothing about water resistance on the packaging. I think I will be fine though. The wort is covered in my sink with some warmer (75 F) water to get it back to pitching temp. Just a noob mistake as I will have to invest in a thermopen or equivalent. :mug:

What yeast are you using?

IMO/IME, going cooler is BETTER than warmer for pitching temp. I usually try to get my wort to the low 60's or mid 50's (when possible) even though most of my strains like the 60-70F range.

Also, IME, the wort will try to climb towards ambient as the yeast are getting ready.

As for thermometers, I use Fisher Scientific models with the sensors on wires to get the fermenting temps (in a thermowell inside my fermenters). I use a Fluke 52II unit and type K probes for by brewing temperatures (including when chilling). Very accurate and super easy to use. Also, since they are all remote compared with the actual sensor, no worries about water doing anything. Besides, they are water proof (had one Fisher get blow-off all over it, wiped clean and continues to work properly).

Low sixties is good for pitching and fermentation. I always try for the low end of the yeast's suggested range.

I am finishing up my fermentation chamber so I will be able to control the temps for 3 brews at a time. Can't wait. I think I'll have to go on a brewing spree and fill it up!

60 degrees is perfect! 70 is too high IMHO. Remember that fermentation temps will be higher than the ambient temp. If you pitch and ferment at 70 your beer temp will really be at 75 or more, which is too high. If you pitch and ferment at 60, your beer temp will be at 65-68, which is perfect.

As for thermometers, I use Fisher Scientific models with the sensors on wires to get the fermenting temps (in a thermowell inside my fermenters). I use a Fluke 52II unit and type K probes for by brewing temperatures (including when chilling). Very accurate and super easy to use. Also, since they are all remote compared with the actual sensor, no worries about water doing anything. Besides, they are water proof (had one Fisher get blow-off all over it, wiped clean and continues to work properly).

Could you explain this device more? Model numbers, pictures? What is a thermowell? This seems much better to me than a probe or stick on.
Thanks

I pitched it with the wort at 60 and the top off water at 65 so it should have been around 63 after aeration. I forgot to aerate before my initial SG reading and freaked out until I realized my goof up (noob mistake). It read fine after aeration. I got it in a homemade swamp cooler, wrapped in a black shirt with a water temp at around 65. Do you guys recommend adding ice to get the water down? This is a Midwest Irish Stout partial mash kit.

Swamp cooler can get iced. I wouldn't add ice to the wort. Unless the water was sanitary (filtered, distilled, or RO water) and frozen in a sanitized container.

I usually use cooler ice packs to regulate the temperature of the swamp cooler water. I also usually fill a couple of 24oz soda bottles and freeze them to also use. Between those, I can rotate to keep the temperatures low, or drop them, as needed. Luckily, this is less needed since I moved. :D

I have water and Gatorade bottles frozen for the cooler. I will put one in just to lower it a bit overnight. I know it is better to ferment at lower temps, so I will get the temp down.

Back