Hop varieties NY state

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlicfingers

Reaction score
I'm interested in growing hops on our farm. What varieties are good to start with, have good flavor, yield and desirable to brewers?

Where can I get rhizomes or starter plants?

Thanks
Scott

Hi

Ok, so you are about as close to the middle of the state as one can get. Rarely get over 20' of snow during the winter and you are a bit east of the Finger Lakes wine grape region. Or am I confused again ....

Bob

yep, were are dead center. Upstate of nyc, but downstate of the Adirondacks. I'm looking at Newport, Williamette and possibly a third to get started. I have an unusable hill on the property that we cant use for other farming, but maybe it would be good for hops, like a vineyard. I just have to figure out how to orient the hop rows so they don't shade each other.

Check with NE Hop Alliance: http://nehopalliance.org/category/resources/. They'll most likely have a list of growers who you can speak with to see what they're growing. The varieties will probably be ones that brewers actually want along with ones that will actually grow well in your area which is in the heart of where the hop industry was located in Upstate back in the 1800's. The glaciers left behind lots of good soil to grow hops and grapes up your way!

http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/top_stories/550340/cornell-cooperative-extension-wants-farmers-to-hop-to-it/
Cornell Cooperative Extension is working to make that kind of start-up information available to farmers, along with warning them about the labor intensive process that can come along with growing hops.

"Setting up the trellis, trying to keep the weeds out, every year the plants have to be touched three times in the early spring to get them started on the strings," Kate Fisher said.

Still, the Fishers say the product of their 7,500 plants now are now bought by local microbrewers and used to make everything from hops soap to mustard.

Miller says he expects other small farmers to increase their acreage and the chance more locally-grown and brewed beers will make their way to consumers.

If you're interested in learning more about how to grow hops, call the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Madison County at (315) 684-3001.

Thanks for the info, i am in contact with NE hops alliance and am attending a field meeting July 21st in union springs NY, where they will also have plants for sale. The NE hops alliance person is the same at Cornell co-op.

For me here in ny, the cascade, Zeus, and Mt. Hood seem to grow great. My fuggles and willamette seem to be very finiky and not very good producers.

In Buffalo I have a number of nugget plants that do phenomenal. I'd say centennial and cascade are probably good choices too not only because they do well, but they are much more frequently used. Centennial was actually in short supply this year.

I put my willamette, Cascade and Newports in the ground yesterday. I will try some Centennials next year, unless I find some soon.

Thanks for your input

i have cascade mt.hood, newport, galena, sterling and columbus currently growing. they all seem to so far be doing alright. most are first year but the second year sterling and cascade are doing well.

Back