suggestion for high gravity cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
looking for a good cider with a 8 month to 1 year fermentation/aging time, between 10 and 13% ABV

Good cider apples and brown sugar is your best bet no matter what recipe you end up choosing. I've only made relatively shorter yield ciders with Nottingham Ale Yeast so I don't have a recommendation for you there.

Good cider apples and brown sugar is your best bet no matter what recipe you end up choosing. I've only made relatively shorter yield ciders with Nottingham Ale Yeast so I don't have a recommendation for you there.

what about yeast, what yeasts work well with high gravity?

couple of suggestions

Boil 2 gallons of cider down to one gallon (I've done this--leaves a little residual sweetness)

Add several cans of AJ concentrate rather than sugar to increase your abv.

ok just put it all in the primary, 6lb's brown sugar, 32oz apple juice concentrate, 4.5 gallons Treetop 3 Apple Blend (very tasty stuff), Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and yeast nutrient, gonna move to secondary in 1 month, then bottle 2 months after that, and open the first bottle May of 2013

OG was 1.10, should yield around 13%

Back