Help! I forgot to purge my keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeciv

Reaction score
This is my first time kegging. I put 30psi on and put it in the fridge, but I forgot to purge the oxygen. Have I ruined the beer?

I doubt you will have any problems. Worst case scenario is that it may stale a little quicker due to the oxidation, but if you racked into the bottom and kept your siphon tube submerged I bet you won't notice a thing.

Thanks guys. I released the pressure, purged the oxygen, and repressurized the tank. This Honey Lager is for a birthday party for my 2 sons, and we're expecting 60 people today. We're having a magician stop by (they're turning 4&7), so this batch is named Magic Brew.

Cheers!

The "Magic Brew" came out perfect! Five gallon keg was gone in an hour. This is only my 3rd time brewing by myself, but I've never had such a great response! I don't think I'll ever bottle again...

Thanks for the support!

i never used to purge the head space at all, never had anything bad happen. last time i kegged i siphoned into the keg first, then put the lid on, plugged up the co2 and vented a couple of times. this will probably be my standard from now on. just to be safe. but i didn't notice any improvment, and never had any trouble with the kegs i didn't purge.

Back