Adding OGs....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perschml

Reaction score
I want to do some hard lemon aid for summer but everywhere i read says to reuse a yeast cake off something fermenting...* My thought was to make up a gallon*strawberry "wine" then add that to 4 gallons of the "hard lemon aid" recipe when the strawberry stuff is going good.

My problem is that I don’t know how to add up the OG’s to keep it from being too strong….

Any suggestions?!?!?!

Starters shouldn't be too strong; about 1.04, generally. Do you have a hydrometer? If not, I highly recommend getting one; they're cheap, and often considered an almost essential tool in beer and winemaking. Past that, it will be difficult to figure out how much sugar is in the strawberries, unless you use a commercial strawberry juice with nutrition facts.

I would also recommend adding lemon juice in increments to the starter. That will help prepare the yeast for the shock of a highly acidic environment. Hard lemonade can be tricky because of this; yeast doesn't much like all the acid. You want to get them as prepared as you can.

I like the idea of making a hard lemonade with some strawberry, though. Strawberries and lemons are the perfect complement, especially in summertime.

Back