Alcohol Burn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crammer

Reaction score
I brewed an Altbier last Sunday using Wal-Mart Spring water (OG 1.054, WPL029 yeast) and I racked it to the secondary today. The beer fermented higher then the recommend temps, 78 instead of 65-69. After sampling my gravity reading, 1.014, I tasted alcohol burn. What's the average length of time for the alcohol burn favor to dissipate? This is the 1st time that I've encountered this off flavor.

Yep. fusel alcohols will not age/condition out like some off flavors. those 'higher alcohols' are there for good.

other aspects of the beer may mellow and subdue the fusel flavors though. But really, you've GOT to control the primary temperature.

If it was just due to a high ABV, 4-5 months would do the trick. But as the other posters have said, fusel alcohols stick around and that's what you've got.

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid what ya'll confirmed is true, that the taste will not dissipate.

As long as it tastes OK (other than the fusels), you can try mixing it with other drinks such as a 50/50 mixture of the brew and a lemon-lime soda.

I'd give it a try before I'd dump it. ;)

If it's a dark beer you can use a Dr. Pepper variation.

Try something similar to a Black and Tan combination. Find a good light Ale to mix it with when you are drinking and enjoy. You did not mention whether you are bottling or kegging. Either way, mix it up at serving time.

Salute! :mug:

You brewed it last Sunday, finish out the process, let it age and see what you got.

I'm drinking an excellent pale ale that I thought was going to be a loser after primary ferment was done. That was a first for me as usually the first sample is good and finishes to be even better.

Back