edwort you have converted another one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
Well i got all the stuff to make my apfelwein today. 5 gallons of white house 100% apple juice, 2 lbs of brown sugar ( wanted it maybe a little bit sweeter but will experiment more later), Red Star champaigne (? spelling) yeast. Should have a nice stiff drink in about 4 weeks or so.

Austin

Don't be surprised if it's not as sweet as you anticipate, especially if you're using champagne yeast.

I used champagne yeast and mine was quite dry. Still very tasty, but not as sweet as one would think.

yeah im not worried about it to much really, from the rave reviews its getting i dont think it can turn out bad.

Austin

Mine's still in primary, I've used an ale yeast so it's most likely going to turn out like a hard cider.

:off: As for spelling I recommend using Firefox as your internet browser, it has a spell checker for forum posting for the lazy buggers like me *^_^*

To sweeten up wine, make sure its 100% fermented and then add sugar. Make sure there is no residual yeast left. I ussually sweeten apple wine with with apple juice concentrate.

silver02ws6 said:
yeah im not worried about it to much really, from the rave reviews its getting i dont think it can turn out bad.

Austin

DARN Tootin!

Just remember. THREE glasses before passing judgement (or passing out) :drunk:

I think i may have gotten some bad yeast, its been in there since 3:20 yesterday afternoon, its now 11:38 a.m. and all I have seen out of it is a few small bubbles in the airlock. Ive only seen the airlock move one time.

Do i need to get some more yeast and re pitch

Austin

silver02ws6 said:
I think i may have gotten some bad yeast, its been in there since 3:20 yesterday afternoon, its now 11:38 a.m. and all I have seen out of it is a few small bubbles in the airlock. Ive only seen the airlock move one time.

Do i need to get some more yeast and re pitch

Austin
Don't do anything yet. Sometimes it takes 24 hours or more for fermentation to start. What temp do you have it at?

Yep got back from dinner tonight and its started bubbling away, I cant wait until this stuffs ready with the reviews its been getting.

Back