Questions about my O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biZurk

Reaction score
So I'm making a Hefeweizen with a target O.G. of 1.047. Before i pitched the yeast it was at 1.050, It is now day 11 of fermentation and the OG is at 1.015. Doesn't that seem unusually low?

.... On another note... why is this forum saying im spelling Hefeweizen wrong? :mad:

Hard to say without details, what was the target FG?

Maybe the forum is French? I wish it would correct my mistakes.

It's low, but not stupidly so... let it sit there for another couple of days, just to make sure that's where it's going to be.

As for the spelling, it's not the forum that corrects your "mistakes", but rather the browser... I'll assume you're using Firefox?

Would you consent to letting us see your recipe? That might help things along with people that actually know why your beer might be drier than you expected.

What yeast did you use? By knowing that we can determine what the anticipated attenuation is and from there we can determine whether or not 1.015 is low.

If the attenuation is 72% that would leave the final gravity at 1.013, so 1,015 would not be low in his case.

47 divided by 4 = somewhere between 11 and 12.

If your yeast attenuates at 75% then your FG should be between 11 and 12 (1.011 - 1.012)

Your first reading is the OG and your last reading is the FG, not OG (again) as you stated. ;)

Back