GRABASS: multi-brew weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We started discussing via PMs, but there is no "reply all" so it kind of sucks to use PMs for multi-way conversations.

Anyway... over this long weekend:

Billy's is brewing one batch. (Oktoberfest)
Chad's brewing two batches. (IPA + Wit)
Jeff's is brewing one batch. (???)
Richard's brewing one batch. (IPA)
(auf wiedersehen, Kaiser :()

Richard's heading out of town and is brewing his tonight or tomorrow morning, but the rest of us are sticking around here.

Do we want to try and get together some place and brew together? If I brew remotely, I need a propane burner (I'm a stove-brewer). Billy has offered the use of his burner, and I am very appreciateive of that.

So... let's form a plan. Where and when. Who's brewing? Who's just drinking? Who's doing both?

-walker

Oh.. rumor has it that Dude will be traveling through NC this weekend.

Maybe we can entice him into a detour with all of our brewing. :)

-walker

I'll certainly try to make it to BOSTON's for hanging out and watching you guys sweat (I don't think it will be a problem). Even if that doesn't work out, I'm positive I can get the burner to you. I'm tentatively planning to brew Monday which will be a pretty long affair, so anybody that wants to just swing by and laugh, that's fine.

*IF* brewday is decided to be sunday, I wouldn't be able to do it until the afternoon. I have to go furniture shopping Sunday morning.

-walker

Sunday afternoon at my house? That's fine. Anyone checked the weather?
Jeff

Baron von BeeGee said:
I most likely have to go to mass in the morning since I skipped last weekend to brew beer. So that probably works.

Skipping church to brew beer? What kind of Catholic are you?:D

Billy's is brewing one batch. (Oktoberfest)
Chad's brewing two batches. (IPA + Wit)
Jeff's is brewing one batch. (???)
Richard's brewing one batch. (IPA)

I'm brewing a New Zealand Pale Ale ("Hopslapper Pale Ale") using the New Zealand hops (ever heard of "Super Alpha", "Green Bullet" or "Nelson Sauvin" hops?) that my buddy (DAZANZ) sent me in exchange for a pack of Wyeast 1272. I'm gonna do a PM using 6# of Maris Otter 2-row & 1# of Crystal 60L and enough DME to hit 1.046. Using Wyeast #1028 London. Chad, I'd be happy to make you a 1 qt. starter if you can use #1028 for your IPA. Jeff

Joining in the work of creation, what better way to spend a Sunday morning? Besides, there is nothing as fine as a beer buz on Sunday morning!

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Sunday afternoon at my house? That's fine. Anyone checked the weather?
Jeff
BTW, PM me your address (unless you're just yankin' my chain about invitin' me!).

Let's see if this works:
5day_400x300.jpg

You know where the 8 million gallons of raw sewage spewed into the Swift Creek? Um, I'm about a mile up the road. Upwind.

Baron von BeeGee said:
So Walker should bring bottled water...? At least we can just "use your yard" ;)

Where is Walker? He never let work get in the way of his posting before!

I'm here. Lots of meetings and bean counting to do.

Ummm.... doesn't that forecast show rain on sunday?

-walker

Walker-san said:
I'm here. Lots of meetings and bean counting to do.

Ummm.... doesn't that forecast show rain on sunday?

-walker

Yeah, I like the 93 and overcast better myself. Is Saturday definitely out of the question?

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Yeah, I like the 93 and overcast better myself. Is Saturday definitely out of the question?

I don't think it's out of the question. Let me check with my wife, though.

I have soccer with my son tomorrow morning, and then we're running by the house in Cary to take a look at a few things and decide on what color we want to paint the rooms (the tennants are out of town this weekend.)

I'll post back here in a little bit.

If we brew on Saturday, what time would you guys want to get started?

If you guys want to get started around noon-time, that might work best for me with driving.

Here's my Sat schedule:

Soccer 9am-10am (near the fairgrounds). We usually get back on the road at about 10:15am. From there, we plan to drive over to Cary to the house to look at a few things. I'll probably be at the house for an hour or so.

I could drive myself to soccer and to Cary. Wife and kids in a separate car.
So, after we were done at the house in Cary (11:30 or 12:00), I could come straight to Jeff's place and avoid a Cary->Raleigh->Cary->Raleigh driving day.

Is that too early/late for you guys?

-walker

Saturday's out of the question for me, and I'd only tentatively be able to drop off the fryer. I'm probably going to watch the England/Portugal match at 11 and then we have a yard party to go to after that.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Saturday's out of the question for me, and I'd only tentatively be able to drop off the fryer. I'm probably going to watch the England/Portugal match at 11 and then we have a yard party to go to after that.

Bummer.

I think Sunday is out of the question, though, isn't it (b/c of rain)? (You're deck is not covered is it, Jeff?)

I've got a patio that is covered if we wanted to consider brewing at my house on Sunday.

Fooey! We're so close to having something organized here, too!

-walker

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about the chance of rain Sunday unless it becomes inevitable. Just the normal pattern around here this time of year and anything would just pass by. Of course, I don't want to be hung in effigy (or person) if it does rain.

Edit...weather.com says mostly sunny with a 20% chance of rain.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about the chance of rain Sunday unless it becomes inevitable. Just the normal pattern around here this time of year and anything would just pass by. Of course, I don't want to be hung in effigy (or person) if it does rain.

Ok.

Jeff... whadaya think? Screw the forecast and plan for a Sunday afternoon brew session at your house?

-walker

ninja edit: i posted before billy updated with the 20% chance of rain thing. seems like a reasonable gamble.

Baron von BeeGee said:

OK, let's go back to Sunday.....10% chance of rain for most of the day, chance of t'storms developing later in the day. 93 F. with partly cloudy skies.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
OK, let's go back to Sunday.....10% chance of rain for most of the day, chance of t'storms developing later in the day. 93 F. with partly cloudy skies.

Ok.. Sunday it is!

Now... what time?

Walker-san said:
Ok.

Jeff... whadaya think? Screw the forecast and plan for a Sunday afternoon brew session at your house?

-walker

ninja edit: i posted before billy updated with the 20% chance of rain thing. seems like a reasonable gamble.

SUNDAY NOONISH?

Baron von BeeGee said:
I also have a freestanding sunshade I can bring that does a reasonable job in rain so we could protect the gear if need be.

Yeah, baby, giveaway at Harris Teeter?

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
SUNDAY NOONISH?

I'm supposed to go furniture shopping on Sunday. The plan is to do that sunday morning, but I'm waiting for SWMBO to get back to me with an actual plan so that I can figure out what time I would be able to make it to Jeff's place.

-walker

*sigh*

The furniture stores are not open until noon on Sunday.
My wife had arranged for a babysitter for Sunday morning.
My wife is pissed off now.:mad:
Somehow it's my fault. :confused:

I'm trying to sort things out, but my chances of making it to a brew session have gone down slightly. It's all going to depend on what we can do with respects to a babysitter and furniture shopping.

Ok... I have been given permission to brew Sunday afternoon. It looks like Tuesday is the shopping/babysitter day.

I should be at your place between 12:30 and 1pm, if that's OK with you.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Ok... I have been given permission to brew Sunday afternoon. It looks like Tuesday is the shopping/babysitter day.

I should be at your place between 12:30 and 1pm, if that's OK with you.

-walker

Fine and dandy with me. Billy, is this good with you?
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Fine and dandy with me. Billy, is this good with you?
Jeff
Still need to confirm with the ball & chain, but it should be good for me. There's certainly a 100% chance I can bring the fryer over and hang out. Whether or not I can stay for the full session depends on how well the news of my long brewday Monday goes over.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Still need to confirm with the ball & chain, but it should be good for me. There's certainly a 100% chance I can bring the fryer over and hang out. Whether or not I can stay for the full session depends on how well the news of my long brewday Monday goes over.

awesome.

is this burner you are loaning me an "extra" one, or do I need to be sure to get it back to you for your Monday brew session?

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
It's extra, so no worries. However, do you have a propane tank? Because I will be needing that for my session.

I sure do. I got a fat-ass new grill for Father's Day, and I've got two tanks.

-walker

edit: here's the grill I got from the wife and kids. I could roast a small pig in it.
6938457600013.jpg

Stainless steel...nice.....You need to save your pennies and get a burner and a keggle. I know, "after you move"

Back