ALERT: Pliny the Elder in bottles!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I heard, distro is going to be very limited and they will not even be supplying current states they have a footprint in.

From RR web site:
Pliny the Elder & Blind Pig IPA Bottled
Well, we finally have run every piece of equipment in the new brewery, actually, we bottled Damnation a couple of weeks ago on our new (used) filler at the new brewery, but, things get a lot more exciting when you fill bottles with carbonated beer! Anyway, we bottle Blind Pig IPA yesterday, July 9th and Pliny the Elder today, July 10th. All in all things went pretty good- Thanks to Ron Allen for helping us get the used line up and running!

They are both being bottled in a 16.9 ounce (500 ml) crown finish bottle and are being sold as a single bottle.

Both runs were somewhat limited as we were just getting our feet wet. These first bottles will only be available in the North Bay and Bay Area and deliveries started yesterday and today. We will ship bottles of Blind Pig IPA to SoCal next week with Pliny the Elder bottles hitting our SoCal distributor Stone Brewing the second week of August.

We’ll ship a small shipment of beer to Portland for a end of July release (more on that next week) though, there will be no Pliny the Elder bottles on this shipment, sorry. In August we’ll get some beer to Seattle and Denver, more on that down the line as well.

That’s it for now, thanks for your support!

These first bottles will only be available in the North Bay and Bay Area and deliveries started yesterday and today. We will ship bottles of Blind Pig IPA to SoCal next week with Pliny the Elder bottles hitting our SoCal distributor Stone Brewing the second week of August.
Any HBT peeps in these areas want to ship me a Pliny? I'll happily pay a (reasonable) premium over your cost and cover all the shipping. or swap something from the Chicago area.

Originally posted by puney_the_youkel
From the RR website:
In August we’ll get some beer to Seattle and Denver, more on that down the line as well.

Neener...neener...neener :D

Any HBT peeps in these areas want to ship me a Pliny? I'll happily pay a (reasonable) premium over your cost and cover all the shipping. or swap something from the Chicago area.

I'm with this guy... Except change Chicago to Atlanta.

When I start seeing these pop up around the local beer shops, I will be willing to ship some out. I'll PM those that post that they are interested.

So this is the first time bottling the stuff ever? I have heard good things and a good friend of mine is heading to CA next week. Might see if she can find a bottle or two to bring back. =D

A couple more weeks! :rockin:

Got an email reply from Vinnie this am that said that bottles will be shipped to Socal starting the first week of Aug.

The bummer at this point is that there are only about twenty Stone accounts that will get some and it will be limited at that.

I have a mail over to Greg at Stone right now to try and get an idea as to what acccount near me will be getting it.

beerlabels.com-04997.jpg

"DOES NOT IMPROVE WITH AGE! HOPPY BEERS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE AGED!"
"AGE YOUR CHEESE, NOT YOUR PLINY!"
I agree.

beerlabels.com-05032.jpg

"AGES WELL"
I disagree.

Well 120min is also over 20% alcohol and the hops aren't really the star of the show, so it's a bit of a different story. Plus it sucks whether it is fresh or not, so who cares.

If anyone does get some bottles of this I would totally be down for a trade or I can just pay you if you want.

Well I went to my local (good) beer bar/store, and they had a bunch of cases of Blind Pig IPA. The owner said he isn't sure when, but they should be getting the Pliny in sometime soon.

If anyones interested, I have some Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock for trade. Number 33 on Beer Advocate.

I would also love to try some Pliny, I would be happy to trade for some local beers, we do have some decent breweries in utah, or pay.

These pliny bottles are going to be doing quite a bit of traveling when they finally hit the streets. I can't wait to see what kinda cash they fetch on fleabay.

Korndog, you just brought a tear to my eye. That, right there, is a thing of beauty. I can almost smell the hops.

Now, let's have a review!

Ok Sweet Yoop. I'll crack it later. I heard the first bottling is not as good as the second. I am lucky enough to enjoy Pliny at a local bar regularly as it is one of my very favorite beers.

KD

I am willing to do a swap with anyone that is willing to send me a bottle or two of Pliny. If not I guess I will give liquid solutions a try. Let me know if you are willing though.

I am willing to do a swap with anyone that is willing to send me a bottle or two of Pliny. If not I guess I will give liquid solutions a try. Let me know if you are willing though.

I will likely get a case soon. When I do, I will be happy to trade with HBT'ers.

I haven't had bottles of this yet, but pliny is my go to bar around here if I can't make up my mind about what I want to drink. Damn good IPA.

how'd you know about those?

...wait, it's working! I think I can taste it now!

no, sorry, just ate a handful of raw hop cones, carry on.

:p

I think they are pretty close politically. :)

LOL...

KD: How does the bottle compare to being on tap? I've only had it on tap a few times (Lucky Baldwins IPA fest was the last) but no bottles as of yet.

Also, did you have to go out to Red Carpet in Glendale or did you find it more local (Wades Wines maybe?).

I am one of the lucky ones who drinks this stuff fresh on tap two blocks from my house. The place just got bottles too, They are 4 bucks a pop but thats not bad considering it is almost a pint and a half. I have opened some bottles that were bottled just days prior to opening, but it still tastes better on tap!
Get some any way you can, it is an awesome beer!!!

:mug: :D

LOL...

KD: How does the bottle compare to being on tap? I've only had it on tap a few times (Lucky Baldwins IPA fest was the last) but no bottles as of yet.

Also, did you have to go out to Red Carpet in Glendale or did you find it more local (Wades Wines maybe?).

This was given to me. I think Wades will get some though. They are doing a Stone tasting tonight and they are the distributor for RR. Possible they got some already. Father's Office has it on tap, but you probably knew that.

Are you a falcon?

Cracked my bottle last night, nice beer, but not nearly as bitter as the Blind Pig IPA I had a couple weeks ago. It also doesn't seem to have the hop aroma or flavor that the pig had, but, it it is a much better balanced beer. Nice malt/grain backbone, good sweetness and well balanced with bitterness (I also though BP IPA was overly bitter and not well balanced), nice color. Similar in many ways to Avery's Maharaja.

Back