Review this IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hershpga

Reaction score
Ok so this is going to be my first recipie that I have thrown together. I dont plan on brewing this until mid next month so I have plenty of time to tweek the ingredients. I would like the criticism from everyone that wants to put in their .2$. I havent picked a yeast yet because i havent read enough about the different varieties to make an educated guess. Well, on to the recipe.

Grain Bill
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.1 %
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.7 %
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.8 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %

Boil
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 16.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 32.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Secondary
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Thank you in advanced.

Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?

Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?

+1. Pretty much everything I was going to say.

daksin gave you some pretty sound advice. Cut Crystal malt to 0-5% total. Pilsener malt will be lost here. Switch flaked wheat to wheat malt. Add a bit of Munich malt if you want. Mash at 152 F for 60 min.

I'd omit the Fuggles, Challenger, and Liberty. Bitter with Warrior. Focus on Simcoe, Centennial, Citra, and Cascade late and/or in the dryhop. A simple 60/15/0/DH schedule with 5 oz. kettle hops will work well (1 oz. at 60, 2 oz. at 15, 2 oz at 0). Dryhop with an additional 3 oz. - No need for secondary - Dryhop in the primary during the last week.

Use a clean Cali Ale yeast, like Safale US-05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, to allow the hops to shine better.

Ok, all the advice is awesome!!! I was expecting for my recipe to be way worse, but I am pretty new into the all grain scene and cant wait to make a brew that came out of my noggin along with everyones help. I'm sure it will be revised even more before brew day. My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it would take a lot. This is my first time brewing an IPA so I am just starting to experiment with types/amounts of hops. Oh and daksin, congrats on opening the nano brewery.

Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it wouldn't take a lot.

Overpowering in the sense of what?... Bitterness?

The 100% Citra dryhop will lend something very juicy, fruity, and tropical. For more complexity, you might want to divvy that up a bit between Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe... or two of these.

And this is minor, but Munich 10L would be better suited for the AIPA style. More malt complexity can be had by subbing a portion of American 2-row with English 2-row and using a yeast like WLP002 or WLP007 over the cleaner WLP001.

No I love IPA's, I really like the taste of Stone's Ruination IPA which is rated at 100+ IBU's. And yea I will split the dry hop up with Simcoe and see how that turns out.

Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Better!

I'm not a huge citra fan, but I like it mixed with other hops (like in Sierra Nevada Torpedo). I'd probably reduce the 60 minute hops to 1 ounce, mix up the three flavor/aroma varieties a bit.

Like this:
1 oz warrior 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz centennial 5 minutes
1 oz citra 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe 0 minutes
1 oz centennial dryhop
1 oz citra dryhop

I like simcoe/centennial/citra together, as the simcoe is citrus/pine, the centennial is floral/citrus and citra screams MANGO.

Back