IPA attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I posted this in AG brewing, but figured it'd get way more views here. Anyways:

I'm wanting to do a Three Floyds Dreadnaught clone of sorts, and found a recipe from BYO here.

Anyways, 159 is quite a high mash temp. As such, I'm having trouble getting BeerSmith to attenuate this anywhere near what the recipe calls for (1.020).

BS says it'll stop @ 1.030 @ 159F mash, and 1.027 @ 156F mash. Any ideas what's the deal here, and how to fix this issue? Is this going to carry over into the actual brew, or is it a software issue?

You should have no problem hitting 1.020 with that recipe, even at a higher mash. Just make sure you pitch enough healthy, active yeast.

I'd guess beersmith is using a formula that doesn't extrapolate well outside of "normal" mash temps.

Yeah I'm thinking about mashing it at 157, just because I don't feel comfortable mashing at such a high temp as 159.

I would discourage you from making this recipe...regardless of mash temp.

I made it, to a T...fermented at appropriate temps, healthy appropriate amount of yeast, ect ect...

beer was not good, just not enough hop bitterness or flavor.

Ive drank a lot of dreadnaught and love it, but this recipe is no where close.

Yeah I'm thinking about mashing it at 157, just because I don't feel comfortable mashing at such a high temp as 159.

I personally like 156/157 for big, full-bodied beers. But I wouldn't be afraid of 159...yes, you're in the denature zone, but the alpha amylase should still have plenty of time to get good conversion. Even at mashout temps, denaturing still takes some time.

I would discourage you from making this recipe...regardless of mash temp.

I made it, to a T...fermented at appropriate temps, healthy appropriate amount of yeast, ect ect...

beer was not good, just not enough hop bitterness or flavor.

Ive drank a lot of dreadnaught and love it, but this recipe is no where close.

Thanks for info! That actually solves things for me. Time to make a big bad Cascade IIPA! I like higher mash temps on IPAs, so I'll be going for 156ish probably.

I think you will be happier. Ive got a killer ryePA that I re-brewed last night if youd like that recipe.

The lagunitas clone also calls for 160 degree mash temp. I just brewed on sunday and I went with 158 so we'll see, but all the review on that were that it would attenuate down to about 1.018, regardless of what the predictions say.

Latest posts

Back