American Rye Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DacotahBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been thinking of making an American Rye/Wheat beer and I want some suggestions. I think the grist will be alright, but I am worried I might over hop it. Give me some suggestions on what to do.

Target Gravity - 1.050
IBUs - 32.8
Color - 4.3 SRM
Est ABV - 5.5%

Fermentables
4.90 lbs White Wheat (Rahr)
3.30 lbs Rye Malt (Weyermann)
2.70 lbs US Pale Malt (6-row) (Rahr)
1 lb Rice hulls

Hops
1 oz Calypso(12.8%) 15 min
1 oz Calypso(12.8%) 5 min
1 oz Calypso(12.8%) 1 min

Yeast - US-05 @ 63*

I was thinking I might dry hop it with 1 oz Calypso but I feel like I could be over hopping it.

Any ideas?

Other hops I have on hand are - 1 lb Cascade, 1 lb Belma, 4oz Nelson Sauvin. I have 4 ounces of Calypso to use.

I think that sounds good! I'm a fan of of the late hopping for ales. Try it after you primary and if you feel it still need more aroma then dry hop it.

I am a fan of late hopping as well. Is there any reason I should use 2 row? Because of the amount of wheat and rye is 6 row appropriate?

I finally got to brewing this this morning. Other than the horrible stuck sparge everything seemed to go well. I thought the calypso hops were similar to summit. Other than the very slight fruitiness the dankness was very similar. The hydro sample tasted amazing. Too bad I was a gallon short in the fermenter because I had to use an auto siphon to sparge. I will follow up with tasting notes.

Back