Help with an Oktoberfest beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDrunker

Reaction score
After prowling these forums for a couple of months, I've finally decided to join. Only to ask for help. Not a great start. I recently drank a Oktoberfest beer and well in love. It was a malty cookie dough flavor that got me. I am now trying to formulate a recipe to get in the same ballpark.

Firstly this was the first time I've had one of this style so am not exactly sure it was an accurate example of the style. Is cookie dough a common flavor for these beers?
Secondly the adverts said it was made from a mixture of German Vienna and Munich malt. Will these two malt give me the desired cookie dough flavor I crave? And in what percentage of each?
And if any of the recipes in the recipe section fit the description please just point me in the right direction.

Any help will be appreciated!

You'll get a broad range of tips, partly because the style is pretty broad. E.g. If you go to Oktoberfest, you'll find the beer is much more pils-like and less malty than U.S. versions. In fact, there's no resemblance. Personally, I'd suggest starting with 50-70% pilsner malt, with the rest being Munich and Vienna. There's really no place for crystal malt, but you can do 0.25 lbs if you just love the stuff. Then if this isn't "malty" enough, you can reduce the Pilsner next time. Too malty is a real turnoff, and that's why I suggest starting low.

Once you taste an Oktoberfest that you really love, no other beer will do. Some other beer may satisfy but you won't hear the quoir singing and angels rejoicing. I've seen so many variations of "oktoberfest" recipe that you may have to experiment till you get it right, for you. That'll be part of the fun.
When I got the right recipe"for me", and got all-grain procedure in order, thats when the quoir sang and the angels rejoiced:mug:

Was this a beer at oktoberfest? Or was this a us beer? Do you know who brewed it?

manco171 said:
Once you taste an Oktoberfest that you really love, no other beer will do. Some other beer may satisfy but you won't hear the quoir singing and angels rejoicing. I've seen so many variations of "oktoberfest" recipe that you may have to experiment till you get it right, for you. That'll be part of the fun.
When I got the right recipe"for me", and got all-grain procedure in order, thats when the quoir sang and the angels rejoiced:mug:

That post is so true. My holy grail Oktoberfest is Avery brewing's "The Kaiser". That beer is so good I would be happy with just getting close with my version.

Thanks all for replies. It was over here in the US. But it was a South African beer brought over by a friend. Made by SAB called Royal Bavaria Oktoberfest Bier. Apparently it was a very limited one off brew for them.

I'm not trying to clone the beer just get a similar style. As I've noticed there is a broad range of styles for this beer.

The adverts I found online state.
"This easy drinking beer will have some moderate toasted malt aromas coming from a blend of Vienna and Munich malts. There will be a very low hop aroma present."

If that helps. I know I've set myself a Herculean task of trying to make a similar beer of a German beer made in South African of which I only had a two bottles to drink.

Latest posts

Back