Sourness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnesnowtaBrew

Reaction score
I cracked open a bottle of an IPA I made and it tasted amazing, just had an initial sourness flavor to that first sip. It has been bottle conditioning for 9 days, I will be allowing it to condition another week (just wanted to get a sneak peak). Anyone else get that before or know how to fix it? Or should it clear up with another week of conditioning?

I'm thinking it could have been a higher ferment temp, I was at 70 degrees room temp, I already have a swamp cooler set up for my next batch to control ferment temp much better. Was this maybe the root cause?

Wyeast 1056
OG = 1.05
FG = 1.012
Primary 3 weeks

image-1592247797.jpg

Sanitation. Make sure your bottles are cleaned and sanitized. You should get a sourness from the temp.

Actually, more than likely what you're "perceiving" as sourness is not from sanitiation issues or anything of the sort. What you are experiencing is "carbolic bite," Co2 "tang." At 9 days your beer isn't carbed yet. Co2 is still being produced and that co2 isn't fully in solution yet. You're tasting and smelling stray co2, nothing else. And many folks perceive co2 bite as "sourness."

I know you want to start drinking your beer, but most of the time normal, average gravity beers take a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a beer to full carb up, and possibly condition as well. Though many beers take longer for both to occur.

Additionally a good period in the fridge AFTER the beer is carbed helps fully seat the co2 in the beer. Right now it's too soon.

Check back in a couple more weeks, and more than likely everything will be fine.

Revvy said:
Actually, more than likely what you're "perceiving" as sourness is not from sanitiation issues or anything of the sort. What you are experiencing is "carbolic bite," Co2 "tang." At 9 days your beer isn't carbed yet. Co2 is still being produced and that co2 isn't fully in solution yet. You're tasting and smelling stray co2, nothing else. And many folks perceive co2 bite as "sourness."

I know you want to start drinking your beer, but most of the time normal, average gravity beers take a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a beer to full carb up, and possibly condition as well. Though many beers take longer for both to occur.

Additionally a good period in the fridge AFTER the beer is carbed helps fully seat the co2 in the beer. Right now it's too soon.

Check back in a couple more weeks, and more than likely everything will be fine.

Thanks for the insight Revvy, I'll continue to remain patient.

Back