Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Pennsylvania, where, if you want a Yuengling Lager you just walk up to the bar and say "I'll have a Lager". They will NEVER EVER EVER ask you "what kind"? They will automatically give you a Yuengling.

Raenon said:
I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone that hated Yuengling, that had drank it fresh and under good conditions. Invariably they seem to be at the edges of Yuengling's distribution, old bottles (I really wish they'd stop using green glass for the Traditional Lager, light exposure is a serious problem), or from dirty lines.

I wouldn't claim that it's the absolute best beer ever made, but it's a damned fine brew, and cheap to boot. It's what I typically reach for if I'm not drinking my own beer.

Now you have. Tastes like rusty water to me. Not hatin' b/c I know tastes vary--I just won't drink it. Oh, and I live two states away, have had it in many different places & formats. Just not my cup of tea.

Then again, I've gotten to where if there's no craft beer in a place I just won't drink.

I did a brew for a BMC family member...conversation went like this:

Me: Hey, I brewed up a lager for you...should be really nice.
Him: No I'm not interested
Me: Seriously, you'll like it, just give it a try
Him: I don't like lagers...thats why I drink Miller Lite

I did a brew for a BMC family member...conversation went like this:

Me: Hey, I brewed up a lager for you...should be really nice.
Him: No I'm not interested
Me: Seriously, you'll like it, just give it a try
Him: I don't like lagers...thats why I drink Miller Lite
My convos with people about sharing my beer usually go exactly opposite of yours

Him: What kind of beer do you make?
Me: All styles from the lightest lager to the blackest stout and everything in between
Him: I'd like to try some
Me: If you only drink Miller Lite and think that's the best beer available, then you probably won't like what I brew.

If they really want to try it after that, I'll tell them what type of commercial beer tastes like the one I'm sharing.

I offered my sister-in-law (Coors light drinker) an american amber ale I made that took 3rd place in a competition.
Our very short conversation:
Her: "Ew! That tastes 'lagery'"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Her: "It tastes like Yuengling Lager. You know...lagery"
Me: :confused:

I've had some success with her liking an American wheat and a classic American pilsner I made. She still reaches for her Coors light which suits me just fine. That leaves more for me.

Now you have. Tastes like rusty water to me. Not hatin' b/c I know tastes vary--I just won't drink it. Oh, and I live two states away, have had it in many different places & formats. Just not my cup of tea.

Here's another. I had some at a decent bar in DC and, while I don't remember exactly what it tasted like, I do recall having a very hard time getting through it.

I don't like lagers...thats why I drink Miller Lite

Maybe they are smarter than you think! Miller Lite calls their beer a pilsner....The World Beer Cup criteria (don't know if they use BJCP or not) claims that it has too much adjunct to be a true pilsner, so it isn't to the definition, but it's close.

In my statistics lecture the professor was using an example of probabilities. He says:
"(Of two events: A and B)Let A be the event of a customer ordering a beer, let B be the event of a customer ordering an ale".

Further, he says:
"What are the probabilities of each?"

I really wanted to say: "Well the probability of B is equal to the probability of A. Because all ale is beer". (Lagers not included in the sample space)

I decided not to correct him, as to not look like a dork in front of the entire lecture.

up until a few years ago most places in my area would always put yuengling in the import list and it be a ridicules price. I guess the name would throw them off thinking it was some kinda foreign brewery, yet its from the next state over, I hated that so much

Not to go against the grain of this thread but I live in Lancater, PA and if you go into any bar from the crappy dive bars, to apple bees, to high end restaurants, if you say give me a Lager.... they instantly give you Yuengling. I was sitting at a bar once and counted the next 10 beer orders and it was 7 Yuengling Lagers and 1 craft brew (Victory) and 1 Bud Lite and 1 Miller Lite. People here really love that stuff.

In my statistics lecture the professor was using an example of probabilities. He says:
"(Of two events: A and B)Let A be the event of a customer ordering a beer, let B be the event of a customer ordering an ale".

Further, he says:
"What are the probabilities of each?"

I really wanted to say: "Well the probability of B is equal to the probability of A. Because all ale is beer". (Lagers not included in the sample space)

I decided not to correct him, as to not look like a dork in front of the entire lecture.

I would have, with no doubt in my mind, corrected him. And that's an awful example. The probability of someone ordering any beverage is a silly thing. Probability of pointing randomly on the menu to a ale versus a lager, ok. Bad example from your prof.

I wish I could go back to my BMC days, I'd be a hell of a lot richer by now. But until they start bottling with pry-off caps and taste slightly better than stagnant water, I shall continue to drink higher up the food chain. To contribute to the thread:

My wife and I were at one of the local beer bars enjoying a founder's wee heavy and a peche when a couple of young guys decked out in full business attire started to get a little loud. They were having a heated discussion about how a RIS was an IIPA and a stout mixed at bottling. The manager of the bar (good friend and a cajun) nicely told the boys they were being loud and retarded. The information was on the bottle and surely a couple of young professionals could read. Moral of the story: don't be a drunk, illiterate retard in a cajun-run beer bar. They also broke the bar rule by wearing ties. She will only ask you once to remove it (nicely) before she will hold your beer ransom until you remove it. That woman is awesome. Oh yeah, her staff can probably run circles around most of us here on their beer knowledge.

Here's a good one...

I made up a bunch of beer to serve at a charity event in town. We took the mobile kegerator and were serving beers out of the side. We got there a little late and were in a bad spot. There was a Bud/Bud lite truck there and the lone was about 25 people deep. No one was coming over to us. So I walked over and yelled (it was loud), "Hand crafted brew over here! The line is short!". Immediately about 2/3 of the line left and came over and we started serving beers. It was great and people had all sorts of misconceptions. Word got around that the good beer was here and my amber ale was being described as "like amber bock but, really damn good". We had an IPA and a stout as well. The IPA wasn't as popular for the BMCers, but the stout and amber was going fast. The comparisons to Amber Bock made me cringe, but the people loved the beer so I was happy.

Then Billy came...

Billy was a red neck (most of them were - me too) He was wearing a Dale Jr long sleeve T-shirt with Budweiser written on it down each sleeve, across the chest, on the back and just about everywhere you could possibly fit it on the shirt. He was a walking bill board for Budweiser. Billy was interested in why we went through all the trouble to brew this beer when there are perfectly good beers on the shelves just about everywhere. Billy proclaimed that he drinks about a 12 pack of Budweiser just about every day, I'd believe it too. But, he was a good sport, he had a Budweiser in his hand. He said, "You know, Budweiser is like a fine woman (makes big boobs gestures with hands). When you have a fine woman, you don't cheat on her, you don't hit her or be mean to her. You caress her (he caresses the plastic cup), you love her, and you treat her right (takes a long sip and smiles)."

Then he says, "but I'm a good sport, what do you recommend I try?" I recommended the amber. He said, "Naw, amber bock gives me the farts, I'll try the stout." Billy, now holding a pint of stout and his half finished Budweiser, starts to drink the stout. "Say, this is pretty good!" He lingered around and kept coming back to the stout tap, but he didn't put down his budweiser. After about 10 minutes he set the Budweiser on the fender and was just drinking my stout. After his 3rd pint in over an hour he came back and telling everyone how good the stout was and that it was a damn good beer! Then he comes up to me and says, "You know, sometimes you get tired of that old woman and you gotta find a new one with better tits. I think I'm ready to kick that old hag to the curb and get me a new woman, pour me another pint!"

I had converted a die hard redneck. My mission in life is complete.

People who go on and on about how great BMC is boggle my mind. It'd be like someone going on and on about the great beef they serve at McDonald's and how no one needs to grill a high grade steak when there's a McDonalds right around the corner.

Then Billy came...

Billy was a red neck (most of them were - me too) He was wearing a Dale Jr long sleeve T-shirt with Budweiser written on it down each sleeve, across the chest, on the back and just about everywhere you could possibly fit it on the shirt. He was a walking bill board for Budweiser. Billy was interested in why we went through all the trouble to brew this beer when there are perfectly good beers on the shelves just about everywhere. Billy proclaimed that he drinks about a 12 pack of Budweiser just about every day, I'd believe it too. But, he was a good sport, he had a Budweiser in his hand. He said, "You know, Budweiser is like a fine woman (makes big boobs gestures with hands). When you have a fine woman, you don't cheat on her, you don't hit her or be mean to her. You caress her (he caresses the plastic cup), you love her, and you treat her right (takes a long sip and smiles)."

Then he says, "but I'm a good sport, what do you recommend I try?" I recommended the amber. He said, "Naw, amber bock gives me the farts, I'll try the stout." Billy, now holding a pint of stout and his half finished Budweiser, starts to drink the stout. "Say, this is pretty good!" He lingered around and kept coming back to the stout tap, but he didn't put down his budweiser. After about 10 minutes he set the Budweiser on the fender and was just drinking my stout. After his 3rd pint in over an hour he came back and telling everyone how good the stout was and that it was a damn good beer! Then he comes up to me and says, "You know, sometimes you get tired of that old woman and you gotta find a new one with better tits. I think I'm ready to kick that old hag to the curb and get me a new woman, pour me another pint!"

haha that's a great story

Here's a good one...

I made up a bunch of beer to serve at a charity event in town. We took the mobile kegerator and were serving beers out of the side. We got there a little late and were in a bad spot. There was a Bud/Bud lite truck there and the lone was about 25 people deep. No one was coming over to us. So I walked over and yelled (it was loud), "Hand crafted brew over here! The line is short!". Immediately about 2/3 of the line left and came over and we started serving beers. It was great and people had all sorts of misconceptions. Word got around that the good beer was here and my amber ale was being described as "like amber bock but, really damn good". We had an IPA and a stout as well. The IPA wasn't as popular for the BMCers, but the stout and amber was going fast. The comparisons to Amber Bock made me cringe, but the people loved the beer so I was happy.

Then Billy came...

This is probably the winner. Great storyteller you are, too.

Here's a good one...

Then Billy came...

This story is full of so much win! :mug:

I was visiting a brewery in western North Carolina called Pisgah brewing company.
They have a sweet bar there and an outside patio area, amongst other things.
My wife and I were sitting outside having a few beers. They had planted a few hop rhizomes, and they had grown to about 10 feet tall.
I'm pretty sure one of the employees had just planted them there for fun, & not for use in the brewery, but who knows.
All of a sudden, a brewery tour ended and a door opens to the patio and a group of 10 emerge, led by the man himself.
We called him John-Ralphio (if you've ever seen parks and recreation). He was the perfect blend of frat daddy & king duche (albeit not a rare blend).
He brings his group over to the hop plants and starts explaining to them how he has done extensive research on growing hops.
He had this theory on latitude & longitude that makes a certain 10 acres in Western North Carolina a hotbed for growing hops.
And as it just turns out, his parents had bought him the property, and he had plans for a large scale hop farm.
Interestingly, as flawed as his theories were (more or less pre-fabricated lies), he actually knew a few hop varieties.

Later on in the afternoon, I found myself waiting at the bar right next to him. I mentioned that I overheard his plans to grow hops.
He kind of muttered under his breath something like, "yeah, but I'm too cool to talk to you about it".
I asked him if he had ever been to the pacific northwest. He said yes, but it was way too rainy there to do any good growing hops.
Still haven't heard anything in the brewer news about John Ralphios hop farm. :)

I was visiting a brewery in western North Carolina called Pisgah brewing company.
They have a sweet bar there and an outside patio area, amongst other things.
My wife and I were sitting outside having a few beers. They had planted a few hop rhizomes, and they had grown to about 10 feet tall.
I'm pretty sure one of the employees had just planted them there for fun, & not for use in the brewery, but who knows.
All of a sudden, a brewery tour ended and a door opens to the patio and a group of 10 emerge, led by the man himself.
We called him John-Ralphio (if you've ever seen parks and recreation). He was the perfect blend of frat daddy & king duche (albeit not a rare blend).
He brings his group over to the hop plants and starts explaining to them how he has done extensive research on growing hops.
He had this theory on latitude & longitude that makes a certain 10 acres in Western North Carolina a hotbed for growing hops.
And as it just turns out, his parents had bought him the property, and he had plans for a large scale hop farm.
Interestingly, as flawed as his theories were (more or less pre-fabricated lies), he actually knew a few hop varieties.

Later on in the afternoon, I found myself waiting at the bar right next to him. I mentioned that I overheard his plans to grow hops.
He kind of muttered under his breath something like, "yeah, but I'm too cool to talk to you about it".
I asked him if he had ever been to the pacific northwest. He said yes, but it was way too rainy there to do any good growing hops.
Still haven't heard anything in the brewer news about John Ralphios hop farm. :)

Not sure how you didn't tell him that most of US hops are grown there...I mean, guy has Google, right? I would have to correct him. Just can't let egregious lies go on.

Not sure how you didn't tell him that most of US hops are grown there...I mean, guy has Google, right? I would have to correct him. Just can't let egregious lies go on.

I did the rest of the world a favor.
I thought he could bring humor to more peoples lives if I left him alone.
He was way above taking advice or info from me anyway.

Then again, I've gotten to where if there's no craft beer in a place I just won't drink.

Ah, right. I forgot the beer snobs that won't drink it because they make more than 3 bottles a year, or because sell it at a price that their working class customers will pay.
My mistake. :drunk:

-Realize I should probably note, I'm really not trying to be argumentative or accusatory here... I know full well tastes vary, but I still think there is something to the theory.
Preconceptions are a powerful thing, and while I try not to dispute any one person, beer snobbery is a massive trend on boards like this.

Ah, right. I forgot the beer snobs that won't drink it because they make more than 3 bottles a year...
Preconceptions are a powerful thing, and while I try not to dispute any one person, beer snobbery is a massive trend on boards like this.

I love all beer that's brewed well and without flaws and even enjoy an occasional Bud or Coors. Just brewed a rice lager similar to Coors Banquet.

That being said, there's something wrong with the way Yeungling handles their yeast. All of their beers taste like banana to me. I toured the brewery in Tampa and ended up belching banana for the rest of the day.

The wife and I were at an Old Chicago a few months back. I ordered a Fat Tire. Waitress comes back maybe 3 minutes later and says "we're out of Fat Tire". I was in a hoppy mood, so I said "what's the hoppiest thing you have on tap?" She gets this really thoughtful, serious look on her face and replies "Guinness - it's really hoppy"
My wife - a beer snob-in-progress - busts out laughing, and then chokes it back when the waitress gave her the "you doubt me" look.

I smiled and ordered a Two Hearted

I love all beer that's brewed well and without flaws and even enjoy an occasional Bud or Coors. Just brewed a rice lager similar to Coors Banquet.

That being said, there's something wrong with the way Yeungling handles their yeast. All of their beers taste like banana to me. I toured the brewery in Tampa and ended up belching banana for the rest of the day.

I taste banana in Bud Light sometimes, especially draft.

Ah, right. I forgot the beer snobs that won't drink it because they make more than 3 bottles a year, or because sell it at a price that their working class customers will pay.

-Realize I should probably note, I'm really not trying to be argumentative or accusatory here... I know full well tastes vary, but I still think there is something to the theory.

If you're not trying to be argumentative or accusatory, I recommend not being argumentative or accusatory. It's much more effective than being argumentative and accusatory, then claiming you didn't mean to be.

Before I tried a Yuengling, I had only heard positive things. I was not brewing my own beer yet, and I wasn't (nor am I now) opposed to BMC beers as a valid taste preference. I thought, "I haven't tried one of those, I've heard they're good, let's find out what the buzz is about."

Then I hated it.

There's no snobbery going on here, it's just a matter of taste. Even the guy who claims only to like craft brews (or however he phrased it) isn't necessarily showing bias against mass market beers. It's a simple fact that those beers cover a very narrow range of styles, and styles outside that range are much, much better represented among craft/microbreweries. (Just in terms of number, not necessarily "better" meaning quality.)

I used to like Yuengling when I predominantly drank Busch Light and Killians. I later switched to mostly craft brews and even not drinking at all for a year and a half. The last time I had a Yuengling I expected to like it as I always had, but I didn't. I notice the same thing when I try Busch Light and the other BMC beers I used to drink.

Ever upgrade your coffee and then go back to Folgers? Your taste buds get familiar with what you got.

I drink a lot of pales and IPA's, flavorful beers, too. When I have my neighbor's Pilsner (he's an excellent, long-time brewer) I often don't like it very much. It's not a bad beer, just not my style.

I used to drink a lot of it. Was happy to see it on tap recently.

Too sweet for me now. Often the Yuengling taps aren't clean around here too. But even when it's clean, I don't really like it.

I get green apples from Bud. It's pretty faint but over time disgusts me more and more. I can handle most of the macro beers, but have a hard time with Bud.

When we go to this bowling alley they have Bud Light or Boulevard Wheat on tap. The Boulevard always tastes funky, like feet or something, and it's WAY more expensive. So we pay the $11 or whatever it is for a pitcher of Bud Light. I usually end up having a hard time not thinking about how it tastes like salt and has banana hints.

Back