Have 55lbs of 2-Row and need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandrew

Reaction score
Hello, I was at brew club yesterday and I was talking to my buddy who is the brewmaster of the group and we figured out a deal where I ended up with a 55lbs bag of 2-row malt. I am new into all grain (only 3 batches) and Im trying to figure out the styles or types of beers I can even brew with this base malt. I dont have any other malts except this bag and I plan on buying online all the stuff I need... My question is What types of beers use 2-row?

I know that some IPAs, Pales, and Stout or two that I have come across. Im not looking for Recipes, Im trying to find out the styles so I can in turn figure

Thank you very much!

You probably have 2-row pale malt. Basically, you can use that as a base for most any ale, and some lagers. With the exception of some of the German styles that call for Pilsner, Vienna or Munich for base malts, 2-row is pretty versatile. You'll see it listed as 2-row, pale malt, or sometimes just brewer's malt in recipes.

You could burn through almost half of that with one 5 gal batch of RIS if you are looking to get rid of it quickly. Or with a little carapils and 120, you could get five batches of IPA. The possibilites are endless (almost) with a bag of 2-row.

Agreed with the above - very versatile base malt. One thing to note - there is a difference between 2-row and pale ale malt: Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Base Malts

Check the bottom of your bag to make sure you know what you have.

I just used Briess 2-row as the base for a hefeweizen (~40/60 with some red wheat malt). Turned out great. Awesome for stouts/porter, ambers, IPAs, blondes...tons of possibilities. Makes a fine pale ale too, but I prefer pale ale malt for pale ales (go figure).

I've heard of people toasting some of their 2-row and using that as their specialty grains. Could help, as long as you find a good guide to roasting and toasting.

:mug:

Back