How to scrub out yeast from inside bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyklopz

Reaction score
Hi.

In previous threads, I posted this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/PLtjk.jpg

There are little particles of yeast attached to the inside walls of my bottles.

Now it's time to bottle a new batch-- how do I prep these bottles? I haven't had anything stuck to the inside of my bottles before, so short of scrubbing and elbow grease, I don't know what to do about that yeast.

So-- is there a lazy man's way to soak these things in something and get those bottles sparkling clean?

Thanks!

For the future I will add when your drinking your brew when you finish the bottle rinse it out. I found simply rinsing them out right after use makes them SOOOOOO much easier to clean then if you dont rinse them as all that stuff hardens and is a PIA to get out.

For the future I will add when your drinking your brew when you finish the bottle rinse it out. I found simply rinsing them out right after use makes them SOOOOOO much easier to clean then if you dont rinse them as all that stuff hardens and is a PIA to get out.

Agree. I've gotten to where if I don't get a chance to rinse them out (like, after a party) and the sediment dries, I usually just throw them into the recycle bin. But I have a TON of bottles.

Yup....just regular old OxyClean. Better if you can find OxyClean Free (I use some WalMart generic version) as there are no scents, dyes or other funk.

Soak them in a tub/bucket overnight and use a bottle brush to scrub them out. Rinse and repeat.

psyklopz, I may or may not have had the same problem. Let me explain... Initially (June), I used 16 or 22 oz. PET bottles. Since then, I've used 16 oz. Grolsch and 20 oz. clear soda bottles also. I always rinse out my bottles immediately after pouring. Lately I've noticed a white haze on the lower 1/3 of the soda bottles (I may not have noticed it with the dark brown bottles.) I was able to clean one out, without scrubbing, by soaking it overnight in an Oxyclean Free solution.
I don't know how good a dishwasher would be at cleaning the inside of a bottle due to the narrow opening.

I heat up a pot of PBW to 140F and soak bottles for 30 mins. Rinse then sanitize and let drip dry.

-bn

I found bottles in the garage from a year ago. Got them from F-in-law and they were from Germany. Caked with crap in the bottom. I seriously contemplated throwing them away.

Instead I tired bleach. A little in each bottle plus warm tap water. Let them sit for 2 days, b/c I didn't get back to them. Lets face it, I left them in the garage for a year without attending to them, what was an extra day right? Anyway, completely clean when I dumped them out.

As was said before, rinse the bottles ASAP after using them, and then soak them overnight in OxyClean. I haven't had to use my bottle brush in a couple of years since I started that routine.

Cool.

Sounds like oxyclean for me. I'll let you know how it works out for me

To be honest, my sanitation for bottles gas always been to run them in the dishwasher on santize. That's what a friend of mine does. But it seems that's not optimal. I think I'll just have to add this to my cleaning regime.

I got some old Home brew bottles from a friend that had a hard black layer caked on the bottom. A long soak in Oxyclean Free solution and then a good shake with rinse water took it out. I keep a bucket filled with Oxyclean Free solution just for this now.

If you have any stubborn bottles try taking a bottle brush and cutting the little loop on the handle off. Slide a piece of tubing over the handle leaving enough for a drill to grip the end. Attach to drill and give it a whirl with a little oxyclean or pbw in the bottle. Knocks that sh*t right off.

fatmonsters, funny avatar. Did you mean father-in-law or effin law?:D

Thanks, Fat Drac is awesome.
I meant Father-in-law. I was just shortening it for typing it in but now that I read it as effin law, kinda funny.

Latest posts

Back