glass carboy or better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legions

Reaction score
I just bought a 6 gallon better bottle and am wondering if i made the right choice between the glass carboy and the better bottle. i know it's all personal preference, but was wondering what other have to say about both of them.

Glass carboy's are more prone to breakage, make sure you get a milk crate or some sort of carboy holder before you ever even wash it.

I like Better Bottles better. Cheaper, lightweight, and won't break. I have nothing at all against glass, though.

This issue comes up on a regular basis. We just hashed this out last week. Research the archives and you will find arguments on both sides. Montanaandy

I just bought a 6 gallon better bottle and am wondering if i made the right choice between the glass carboy and the better bottle. i know it's all personal preference, but was wondering what other have to say about both of them.

Your choice was fine. I have two glass carboys (came with my original kit) and two BBs. There is no difference I can taste in the beer processed through either kind.

It should be noted that I have never used ANY carboys to do anything but secondary, since I primary ferment solely in plastic buckets, and precious little secondary action at all these days, since most of my beers are done primary-only.

Neither, IMO. I bought a 6.5G carboy at Midwest a month ago and it is going on Craigslist as soon as I get this Fuggles IPA out of it.

1. It's heavy.
2. It's even heavier with beer in it.
3. It doesn't have a built in carrying device (handle).
4. It's glass.
5. It's takes twice the time to clean compared to a bucket.
6. It's glass.
7. It's heavy.

The only thing good about a carboy/better bottle is that you can see the yeast do their work and now that I've seen that for 3-4 batches, I don't need to see it again.

1. It's heavy.
2. It's even heavier with beer in it.
3. It doesn't have a built in carrying device (handle).
4. It's glass.
5. It's takes twice the time to clean compared to a bucket.
6. It's glass.
7. It's heavy.

Man up?

I think better bottles are a pain because of the negative pressure you make anytime you move it. I'm sometimes scared to move it with fear that all the liquor in the airlock will empty into it.

I pull the airlock out and put my hand over the hole in the stopper before moving them. Another reason that I like buckets is because I totally skip the seconday anyway. One month from kettle to keg.

is my six gallon BB ok for secondary? some people have expressed concern for oxidizing of the beer because of so much space at the top.

I just bought my second BB. Had several acid carboys back in the mid 80s and they scared the living crap out of me. Of course, the Brew Hauler didn't exist back then.

In terms of "better for your beer", I'm sure the glass edges out any plastic, but for me the pros of Better Bottles outweigh the cons.

Just wish that the accessories weren't so dang expensive.

I have only glass, just be safe and remember every time you pick it up it's glass, dont f*ck up ;]

Keeping carboys in milk crates have helped for transportation throughout the house, when cleaning carboys I do it carefully and keep a firm grip.

Well I have 3 glass and I just picked up a 6 gallon BB after hearing all the great things about them. To be honest when I opened the package I was a little disapointed, it feels like cheap light weight plastic and was already pre-creased from shipping, But of course i'm gonna still use it and I doubt I will be able to tell the difference between the taste.

Go glass but be carefull when moving around.

Glass is great until it breaks. I got lucky, some people here didn't.

I always use a blowoff with my better bottle (1/2" tubing rigged to the airlock.) No more suckback!

I use glass carboys only, just cannot stand plastic. You have to be carefull when moving around full one, handles are must. You clumsy or wimp if you can't handle 5 gal vessel with solid handle

Back