What's wrong with Rahr?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
Pale 2-row, specifically. Why is it so much cheaper than the other brands? I know Marris Otter is a winter barley imported from England, so that makes it cost more, but any particular reason the Rahr is cheaper?

And even cheaper than that... there is some type called Euro or something like that, sold by Rebel Brewing in Tennessee, for something like 80 cents a pound. What's wrong with that? http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Malteurop-2%2dRow-Malt-(by-the-pound).html

For those of you interested in the Malteurop from REbel Brewing, I've done the math for you. Anything over 62 pounds and you have to pay 2nd day fedex, which is more than the grain cost. At 62 pounds, crushed, it comes out to $1.05 a pound delivered, to my zipcode about 200 miles away. Also, that includes the 10# discount which makes it actually 75 cents a pound.

By the way, I discovered them through one of the banner ads here that you premium members don't like to be bothered by. ;)

If you have a mill you should consider buying by the sack, even with shipping Maris Otter is only $.80 a pound from North Country Malts and American Pale from Great Western is just $.55/lb.

If you have a mill you should consider buying by the sack, even with shipping Maris Otter is only $.80 a pound from North Country Malts and American Pale from Great Western is just $.55/lb.

Two months ago North Country stopped selling to homebrewers.

Great Western hasn't replied to me yet. At 55 cents a pound, delivered, that's pretty cheap. How much do you have to buy?

That's basically $15 (conservatively) shipping a 50 pound bag, with $13 as the actual price of 50 pounds of grain, or 26 cents a pound. I can't believe they sell it for that in 50 pound quantities. But the email has been out for an hour, no reply yet, maybe it really is that cheap. It just sounds too good to be true. I'll be sure to post back what they say.

Is it just that there is a pallet minimum?

I don't know, you tell me. You are the expert who knows all their prices, I only know what HBT and Google tells me.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/

Our Craft Brewery customers and Homebrew Store Retailers are encouraged to contact us for additional product and pricing information by calling our distribution location that is nearest you.

Homebrewers, please be sure to ask for our products at your local homebrew supply store or your preferred on-line store.

Thank you for visiting our site. We’ll look forward to servicing your needs.
The County Malt Group

And buying pallets of barley for homebrew means you are brewing more than 200 gallons a year, and thus in violation of the law.

What a shame.

Teri Fahrendorf to Bagged, me
show details 6:33 PM (2 minutes ago)
Dear Fletcher,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately our western warehouse system is not capable of handling sales to homebrewers. We recommend you ask your largest local homebrew store if they offer a full-bag discount. Best wishes for homebrewing success.

Cheers,

Teri Fahrendorf
Specialty Malt Account Manager, Country Malt / Great Western Malting
►We're evolving! Country Malt is the Warehouse, Distribution and Sales arm of Great Western Malting Co.
Sales Desk: 800-496-7732 (Jo Heidlebaugh)
Teri's Cell: 360-356-5599

Furthermore, "North Country Malt" and "Great Western" appear to be the same company.... "Country Malt Group"

So, back to square one.

Anyone tried out this malteurop malt from Rebel Brewing?

You live right on top of brewmasters warehouse which has some of the best prices around. What's wrong with them?

You live right on top of brewmasters warehouse which has some of the best prices around. What's wrong with them?

Their cheapest base grain (briess pale) is still $1.22 a pound for in-store pickup because I have to pay sales tax. That's pricing out a 50 pound bag. I can have it delivered to my door with these Tennessee people, for less money.

The sad part is that Country Malt Group has their own rail depot in Doraville, which I drive through twice a day on my way to ATL (Doraville actually is ATL, but mostly Mexicans) so I don't see why it would be such a big hassle for them to take my money and let me fill up the trunk of my Oldsmobile with Maris Otter at the train station, perhaps wearing a members-only jacket and some gas station aviators.

Let me know if you find anything cheaper than $1.04/pound. My LHBS sells a 50 lb. bag of Briess 2 row for $52, but I'd love to find a better deal.

BTW, this is the lowest prices I've seen on grain, but I have a feeling the shipping costs will make up for it: http://www.brewbrothers.biz/

I emailed asking for a shipping quote though.

If I'm correct North Country Malt stopped selling to new custumers. Any homebrewers who placed orders within the last year are still able to order. I think the cutoff date to order was Septemper 30th 2010. Someone can correct me If I'm wrong. I had an account with NCM so I think I can still place an order but have not tried doing so.

Didn't know countrymalts stopped selling to homebrewers. Probably wasn't profitable enough for the hassle. Wouldn't be so bad if you could buy a sack of grain without such a high mark up around here.

Morebeer sells Great Western 2-row for 32.25 a bag before shipping

Here are the estimated shipping charges to Pittsburgh. Realize these prices are just for the shipping on top of the grain price. A rather lack luster deal if you ask me.

UPS Ground (5 - 6 Business Days)48.65 UPS 3-Day Select (Arrives Mon, Oct 25)123.08 UPS 2nd Day Air (Arrives Fri, Oct 22)193.35 UPS Next Day Air Saver (Arrives Thu, Oct 21)243.84 UPS Next Day Air (Arrives Thu, Oct 21)254.58 USPS Priority Mail97.57

Their cheapest base grain (briess pale) is still $1.22 a pound for in-store pickup because I have to pay sales tax. That's pricing out a 50 pound bag. I can have it delivered to my door with these Tennessee people, for less money.

So GA doesn't consider grains a food product? In know in PA everything ingredient wise is considered food and thus non-taxable, equipment all gets sales tax. Plus that's strange that BMW doesn't do sack discounts. My tiny mom/pop lhbs sells the 55lb sack of marris otter for $65 I think. They MIGHT piggy back on a local brewery/brewpup and thus get cheaper prices but I would think BMW still has more volume for sales and thus orders more.

I used the MaltEurop 2 Row a couple of weeks ago. My LHBS recently started selling it and it very cheap here as well. My "guy" there says it is a great malt. I'm brewing a pale ale this weekend and intend to use it again. The brew I made it with recently is still in fermentation, so I can't tell you how it tastes yet. But I am very happy paying $0.83 lb for it!

If I'm correct North Country Malt stopped selling to new custumers. Any homebrewers who placed orders within the last year are still able to order. I think the cutoff date to order was Septemper 30th 2010. Someone can correct me If I'm wrong. I had an account with NCM so I think I can still place an order but have not tried doing so.

you are correct. current customers can still order, also i believe their new policy doesn't apply to pick up orders if anyone is close enough for a road trip.

Rahr is the only base grain i use. I go through Mo Malt Supply out of St.louis. It's basically a big group buy. I only pay like $27 for a 50lb sack of Rahr 2-row. If your some what close to the area it's the cheapest way to go. Great guys also. They might ship, but I'm not postitive.

Hmmm, I'm not in charge of it but there is a group grain buy I'm getting 3 sacks from on Thursday... I just assumed they ordered from North Country. Further investigation is required.

Well most group grain buys ARE by the pallet, so they may not be totally against selling at that volume to homebrewers. Our HBT bulk buy for the Michigan Mashers is usually 2 pallets (1 of two row and one of assorted). Also, I bet if you had a tax id (regardless of whether it was for a homebrewshop or not) you could probably get around the ban if you were buying by the pallet. And we get ours delivered to a commercial business with a warehouse.

Rahr and Malteurop are fine malts. I'd use Rahr over Briess.

Have you talked to Ed @ BMW about bulk buying discounts? My LHBS charges $2/lb for all malts, but sells sacks of Rahr for $47 and Briess for $52.

Yes, I've been in contact with Ed. Since he sent me a PM instead of just replying to this topic, I'll assume he doesn't want the information public. But yes, I've been in contact with Ed, and everything is going to be alright.

Pale 2-row, specifically. Why is it so much cheaper than the other brands? I know Marris Otter is a winter barley imported from England, so that makes it cost more, but any particular reason the Rahr is cheaper?

I really like Rahr basic 2-row or Pale Ale Malts. I have also used their Pilsner and White Wheats and have loved the results. I save the MO for more authentic English styles, but use the Rahr for IPA's, APA's, etc.

I'd use Rahr over Briess.

Blasphemy! New Glarus Brewery uses Briess over all others if Briess makes said grain (they like to keep everything local). And we all know they have won a lot of awards.

OK, I admit, Im a little biased because I am from WI =D I use Rahr too just because a 50# sack is cheaper :D

I bought a bag of Rahr today and I hope it's as good as the Briess I am used to. It was only $45 instead of the $66 for Briess.

Just remember= Good brewing can't make up for bad malt!

Latest posts

Back