Corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I have maybe a stupid question!!! My parents drink tons of wine so I have been saving their bottles. My question is, do all bottles have the same cork size? If not, then what is my option and how do I know their cork sizes? Also, do I need to store wine on it's side while it is conditioning, or can I keep them standing in the wine boxes I have and keep them at room temp which is around 68 or so all the time in our home.

Thanks!

i know from experience that ice wine bottles take a smaller cork than regular wine bottles. i forced the regular corks in but it was a struggle
that said - every other wine bottle i have re-used has used the standard cork.
bottles need to be stored on their sides if using natural corks to keep them moist and tight fitting.

Thanks so much for the reply!! I assume then I will go with synthetic since it seems a lot of people are saying those are great for long storage times verse regular corks. What is a standard size cork then? :drunk:

Correct- but I use 8's if I can find them as they are easier to insert with a hand corker, and work for the smaller bottles. I have a few 375 ml bottles, as well as the 750 ml bottles. I also use Grolsch bottles for my "cheap" wine made from Welch's since I'm not aging it and drinking it fast.

they are all pretty much the same I think, and you are right a #9 is the best cork, but awful to hand cork with, good luck on your wine making, cheers

OK. How do you determine what size corks you have? I had no clue what I was doing when I bought mine and there aren't any markings on them or the packaging. All I know is that they went in pretty easily into 375 ml bottles.

They were probably #8s if they were easy to insert in a small bottle (unless you're Hercules). The original packaging on mine (the ziplock bag at the homebrew store) had the numbers written on it with a sharpie.

If I had a floor corker, I would use #9 but with a hand corker it's got to be 8s for me!

Yooper Chick said:
If I had a floor corker, I would use #9 but with a hand corker it's got to be 8s for me!

That is what my LHBS (or, me) recommends. #8 for a hand (wing) corker and #9 for a floor corker.

Oh, my local HBS also LOANS (not rents) the floor corker, to our customers. Whether or not you bought a wine kit from us.

steve

GABrewboy said:
Also, do I need to store wine on it's side while it is conditioning, or can I keep them standing in the wine boxes I have and keep them at room temp which is around 68 or so all the time in our home.
Thanks!

The reccomendation for corking bottles is stand them upright for the first three days. This allows the bottle to seal.

THen lay them on their sides and store them in a DARK and COOL place. 68 is OK, but cooler is better for long term storage. It is good to avoid any changes in temp. as well, a steady consistent temp. is best.

I got some additional info on the cork deal.....

I have been told that the #8 and #9 corks are the same size. The number refers to the density of the cork.

From what I understand #8's are fine for wine that will be consumed within 1 year. You need (should) use the #9 for anything that will be stored for longer than a year.

Back