Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
A friend of mine made a 10 gallon batch, split it into 2 five gallon batches and used the American Ale 1056 and American Ale 1272 from wyeast.

After fermentation was complete we found some distinct differences with his experiment.

Wyeast American Ale 1056 vs Wyeast American Ale II 1272

Some of the main differences we found are as follows.

• 1272 trub was very tight and didn’t get sucked up by my siphon.
  • 1272 was less cloudy and had a bit more brightness to the color.
  • 1272 had a cleaner finish and smoother mouthfeel.
  • 1272 allowed us to pick out more hoppiness and balanced the sweetness of the malts better.
  • 1272 started sooner and seemed to attenuate more.

Has anyone else done this experiment? What were your results? Have you done any other experiments?

Has anyone else done this experiment? What were your results? Have you done any other experiments?

Currently in the dry-hopping phase of a pale ale split into two carboys - one with S-04 English Ale and one with WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch, so the experiment isn't done yet. Prior to dry-hopping, the S-04 had a more distinct and pleasing hop taste than the WLP029. The SGs were on par with eachother at that time. I should know more in a month!

Sweet deal!

I'd love it if you'd be willing to follow up here and let me know how it went. I think this is a pretty cool way to learn more about not only the different strains of yeast, but the different flavors that can be embarked because of yeast.

Thanks for the comment!

Back