Best way to get oil off mill rollers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
Got a new to me CrankandStein mill. It was sprayed with olive oil. No real problems cleaning the frame sides. Not sure about how to clean the knurled rollers without using chemicals that could lead to nasty flavors if they get into the mash.

Useful thoughts and ideas now being openly sought.

whenever i have anything in my mill rollers that needs out, i go to the supermarket, buy a bag of the cheapest rice they have, and run it through into the trash can. i have gotten oils, gunk and rust out of the rollers that way.

Now that's some good thinking Berserker!

Side note, I had a hard time typeing your name with just one e after the B. Came out Beerserker 3 or 4 times.

I built a crusher and just washed it with dish soap before using, then dry with a towel and drop or two of oil where it needs to be. Then crush my grains. Somehow the grain dust that sticks to it has kept it from rusting. I would think that they would draw moisture and cause it to rust faster.

Back