Storing kegs while conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1000ml

Reaction score
Probably a silly question, I'm guessing this is fine but wanted to check with the group.

I can only fit 2 cornies in my Oster, so I need to find a place to put kegs that are conditioning. I can store them in the garage fridge but no upright. Any issues with storing them on their sides?

Shouldn't be a problem. I store some of mine in my brew closet to condition as well.
The only advantage to conditioning right side up i can think of, is where the sediment will settle. I prefer to have it at the bottom, so I can pull it off in the first pint or 2, but I suspect it will fall to the bottom once you put it in the kegorator.

you can actually modify your corney keg to "cask condition", in which case it would lay on its side the whole time. there is definitely no problem with horozontal conditioning (just made that one up!)

"secrets of the master brewers" has a good DIY on converting a keg to a cask.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I have 4 on tap and just kegged another to wait in line. I put it in the keezer and hit it with 30 psi, purged the o2, and then removed the gas line b/c I only have 4 gas lines and need those for what I'm drinking. Will it be fine as it is, or should I occassionaly hit it with more co2 until there's room for it to get tapped? I want it to be as close to ready to drink once it's tapped.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I have 4 on tap and just kegged another to wait in line. I put it in the keezer and hit it with 30 psi, purged the o2, and then removed the gas line b/c I only have 4 gas lines and need those for what I'm drinking. Will it be fine as it is, or should I occassionaly hit it with more co2 until there's room for it to get tapped? I want it to be as close to ready to drink once it's tapped.
Some people use the set it and forget it method. Set the gage for 12 psi and wait a week...leave the tank hooked up.

Some people use the set it and forget it method. Set the gage for 12 psi and wait a week...leave the tank hooked up.

The problem is, I only have 4 gas lines and 4 tapped kegs are using them. I disconnected one to seal a new keg that's next in line, but then had to put it back on the original so it can be served.

Can I carb without using sugar or leaving it hooked up? ie. by hitting it with co2 every now and then until it gets its turn at the tap?

I have splitters on my 3 tanks which allows me to run 6 kegs directly. With a manifold you could run 10 taps off of one keg if you wanted to.:D

Sure you can hook it up and put gas on it and disconnect. It'll stay sealed, but won't carbonate much.

Back