Bluegrass Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'm playing a gig tonight for a church fundraiser. I'm breaking out the old mandolin, my dad plays banjo, and we have a guy on guitar and another on string bass.

Heh.

I could probably fake it on the fiddle enough to join in, but I'd have trouble playing loud enough for you to hear me halfway across the globe. :D

I'm sure there's some way to rig up a monitoring and amplification system over the internet. There would still be a little delay though...

LOVE bluegrass, not a big fan of the gospelly stuff though. It kinda freeks the guys out at work when I'm in the kitchen sitching back and forth between Blue Grass, Heavy Metel, and the pipes

I'm here huckleberry, with my fiddle and a couple guitars. :)

Play much bluegrass tuba, do you? ;)

I prefer my guitar, but I play a mean assed jug and can do a little something with a washboard, when I can get it in tune.
I've got a buddy who plays bass in 3 bands. One of them is a bluegrass/ gospel outfit. He has a stand-up bass that he rebuilt . I got to play that one once. It was cool ! Kinda like playing a piece of furniture. If he had been smart years ago, he'd have taken up the harmonica instead. Less stuff to carry around. That's why I don't play piano. That , and lack of talent..

HIJACK WARNING!

Jr Pistolero just got himself a drumset. Tonight (since he was gone) I sat down at a real set of drums for the very first time, and of course immediately flashed back to pounding on the school desk in the mid 60's.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... Wipeout! :D

Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Flatt and Scruggs, baby!

I used to have a five string banjo. Never did learn to play it very well. Sold it in a garage sale a few years back. I may get another one one of these days. Right now I have a couple of electric guitars. Been reading about brewing and brewing so much lately, that I'm sure I need to dust them off big time....

Lounge Lizard said:
Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Flatt and Scruggs, baby!
I saw Earl Scruggs and his boys do that tune in Gatlinburg, TN many years back...talk about some mighty fine pickin and a grinnin. :)

I'm much more blues-based in my musical tastes. But O' Brother Where Art Thou? from the Cohen Bros. flashed in front of my eyes ;) (great flick btw)

Sounds like a good time. Hope it was!

:mug: Ize

I'm not really a bluegrass nut, but it's music my dad grew up with, plus I really like playing my mandolin. And it's harder than you would think. No, not much bluegrass on the tuba. That gets into some weird grey area in between polka. :p. I've got my electrified instruments, too. I really dig the blues.

luv it, goes hand in hand with the irish reels and jigs and drinking tunes i love so much.

the fiddle is where it's at for me.

Heh. It's not bluegrass, and it's definitely not tuba, but try to get hold of a copy of "Tubas in the Moonlight" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band...

I play the mando, have a Weber and an electric Godin. Absolutely love playing. Actually a number of my brewing buddies play and so brewing and jamming often are one-in-the-same. My church has a band and I have played with them, but it isn't a habit. Too much else to do on Sunday mornings. Hope the gig is fun!

Regicider said:
Heh. It's not bluegrass, and it's definitely not tuba, but try to get hold of a copy of "Tubas in the Moonlight" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band...
I have heard it. In fact, a friend of mine who is getting his masters degree in tuba performance was going to do it in his masters recital. I'm going to play the banjo part. :p

The gig went ok, but there was some confusion about the set up at the place we were playing. They told us they had a sound system. We brought some equipment anyways. Good thing we did because we neede to sep up almost a complete system ourselves. :( Everything went ok though

Brewsmith said:
I have heard it. In fact, a friend of mine who is getting his masters degree in tuba performance was going to do it in his masters recital. I'm going to play the banjo part. :p

Was going to? Did he change his mind or something? (IIRC, there is no tuba actually played in the song. At least not in the version I have. They've chickened out and used a bass trombone. :p )

Brewsmith said:
The gig went ok, but there was some confusion about the set up at the place we were playing. They told us they had a sound system. We brought some equipment anyways. Good thing we did because we neede to sep up almost a complete system ourselves. :( Everything went ok though

So how are the funds? Raised?

Yeah, everything went well, just a lot of stress getting everythig set up. Once that was done, everything went fine.

I don't know what version of the song it is, but the version of the song I heard had what sounded like an 1800's crooner with a banjo for rhythm, with a tuba trio or quartet. When I say "was", it's because it hasn't materialized yet. My friend took some time off school, and started working a full time job for a local police dept. His hours are crazy because he's a rookie.

Man, I hope he's still going to go through with the degree. The world needs more tuba players. Perhaps he can use his tuba as a policeman's whistle? :D

(And the crooks will look at each other, terrified, and say: "Uh-oh. It's the brass copper!")

Is it an electric tuba ? Is it " Tubadelic" ? Let me just say, for the record, that if Monkey Jr. went off to college and decided to major in tuba, he'd be doing it with my foot up his butt, and on his own nickel. Ever heard a good tuba solo ? Can you name a great tuba player?

I'm sure I'll go to Hell for this one..

I just found this thread. Yeah, I.m way into BG. I've been takin banjo lessons for 5 years now. I also play mandolin and guitar, acoustic and electric. I also have a dobro, a fiddle and an upright bass, but I don't mess too much with those. I go to the Gettysburg BG fest twice a year, and Greyfox in New York. Festival season is practically upon us! Pickin & Grinnin & Sippin all night long! You betcha!

Back