Help on hop usage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bs22619

Reaction score
So, Im brewing a batch tomorrow and Im going for a more so mild IPA. This was the first time I just winged it and made my own recipe. I've got my steeping grains, 1 oz of New Zealand pacific gem AAU of 16%, and 1 1/2 oz of cascade. Im not too familiar with the NEw Zealand pacific gem hops and and pondering whether to boil the whole ounce for 60 minutes, 1/2 ounce for 60 minutes and then adding the rest throughout the boil or what. Like I said obviously I'm going for a IPA taste but I don't want it to be too bitter. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions for usage of the Cascade hops? I was originally planning for 1/3rd with 5 min left 1/3 when i take it off the heat and dry hopping the rest.
-Thank You

just that 1 of 16aau gives you around 64IBU's that puts it in the range for an IPA already, I would use that 1oz and then slowly add some cascade every few minutes starting at 30 and going to flame out. save like a 1/2oz of cascade to dry hop...that sounds mighty tasty to me!

My invading India IPA came out around 74ibus if I remember correctly and that was just right I think, could of even been a little hoppyer but it was very nice and not overpowering

I really enjoy the cascade flavor. Arneba28 has a great idea so you can enjoy that cascade flavor.

Actually this is my first IPA. The reason I'm looking for a more mild IPA is.....well I cant think of a good reason except for the fact that my pops will be having some of this and he's not an IPA kind of guy. Well I just got done brewing it but here is my recipe....8lbs light liquid extract, 1lb crystal malt (40L), 1/2lb carapills, 1oz New Zealand Gems(boiling) and then starting at 30 min left I added cascade every 5 min or so. then after I dry hop with the rest it will end up being 1 1/2 cascade. English ale yeast. After primary Im Planning on racking at a lower temp for a week, then kegging. Then hopefully I can wait 2 weeks but will probobly start it sooner.

Would anyone advice dry hopping once its racked or during primary?

-thank you

Latest posts

Back