What does everyone do with the Sankey Dip Tubes and Tops when you make a keggle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw mine away because I was dumb, another guy on here turned his into a mash stir paddle and that looked really neat.

I threw the top out, re-purposed the valve piece to use for the lid cutting jig by grinding off the small tabs at the top. Going to use the dip tube as part of my hop spider (still working on design), and figured the ball from the valve could be used as a weight for a bag when dry hopping. Saving the springs/other assorted pieces for later! Just never know!

Ryan M.

I mad a hop spider out of the top with some carriage bolts, a hose clamp, and a big hop bag. There is a thread on here that gave me the idea.

Welded 3 stainless washers on the lid edges so that it wouldnt fall back into the keg when I used it for a lid. Not my original idea I think I stole from Bobby_M

I havent done it but i have seen someone make the top into a false bottom for a MT or a hop stopper. That what I plan on doing.

The dip tube I think I am going to try something for a sparge arm.

Saved my tops to weld washers to for lids. And I found a thread (cheap sight glass) where sanch used his dip tubes as sight glass covers. Planning on doing this too.

image-4033444724.jpg

image-3752783786.jpg

I saw on here someone who ran the diptubes across a metal saw to cut them into a "C" shape to make protectors for their sightglasses then 45ed the top off to put a ss screw and rubber washer into the kettle to hold it in place

I made a false bottom with one of my keg tops. Never again. Too many holes to drill to justify the free factor.

The best idea I've seen is to re-use the top as a lid by bolting or welding washers to the edge.

sight glass from dip tube (its actually cover and stabilizer for food grade high temp see through 3ft long plysomething 1/2" tube)

With regard to the Randal/hopback. Im taking a morebeer water filter and replacing the hosebarbs with QDs and ball valves to control the flow. The internal shaft will be .5" stainless pipe with holes drilled into it, I think I measured it to be 12." To seal the pipe I found that some of my .5"ID tubing on each end of the stainless pipe makes a snug seal in the base and to mate it to the top outlet of the water filter housing. Then for good measure a stainless oetiker clamp on each part of the tubing should hold the tubing to the pipe for many uses. Just figured I would share.

I used the tops as false bottoms for MLT and BK. Works great, real easy to make. Key is to cut slots with an angle grinder. Drilling holes sounds like a lot of work : )

I used the tops as false bottoms for MLT and BK. Works great, real easy to make. Key is to cut slots with an angle grinder. Drilling holes sounds like a lot of work : )

You have pics. This sounds very interesting to me. :mug:

I have two sitting in a cardboard box waiting for something to happen. There is a guy on you tube who used them to make a jet burner. The top works great as a heat shield for a burner.

I'm flattered that I've been quoted. :mug: On another note I still like Zamial's take on the Hop Spider and plan to do this soon.

Mine is in here and still in use. I have had no issues with it so far. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cut-keg-top-false-bottom-192413/

and of course: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/all-stainless-steel-deluxe-hop-bag-spider-cheap-238341/

If you use sanke kegs to serve there is a line cleaner: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/recirculating-keg-line-cleaner-287625/

This does not even touch on the spears which can be used for many different things...

I'm sure you guys keep extra crap like this around the shop for "whatever".

I was mounting a scope on my shotgun, had the rings on and had to lap them. You can buy an expensive lapping rod for that, but I thought 'hmmmm' and measured the dip tube to be exactly 1". I used it and it was the bomb. :rockin:

I'm sure you guys keep extra crap like this around the shop for "whatever".

I was mounting a scope on my shotgun, had the rings on and had to lap them. You can buy an expensive lapping rod for that, but I thought 'hmmmm' and measured the dip tube to be exactly 1". I used it and it was the bomb. :rockin:

+1
Nice

Back